Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any other South African oven builders on this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any other South African oven builders on this forum?

Not to discriminate against all the other very helpful folks on the list, but perhaps locals can help me identify some local suppliers? :-)

Thanks
    Dolf

Re: Are there any other South African oven builders on this forum?

Where in S.A are u from? i am in durban, also wanna get started , doing research first tho.. oh yeah

Comment

I am in Pretoria and am building in BelaBela

Comment

Howzit guys ....

Seems like domestic pizza ovens are quite scarce over there and you will probably need to source stuff from kiln suppliers. Are there any kits available there? Maybe worth importing a kit if nothing suitable available.

Maybe just get a returning expat to pop one in their container. Quite a few of them heading back when their 457 visas weren't renewed when the mining boom went quiet recently.

One thing good you have is the availability of top quality wood. The good old doringhout and gwarrie were the best wood I have ever used on braais - coals last forever. Those are ECape specific but maybe some similar stuff up JHB and DBN way. If you are down CT way then you should be able to get hold of some vine stumps too - also top quality stuff.

I will be in PE in March for 10 days to see my dad so hopefully I will be able to find a decent WF pizza whilst I am there. To date, no luck - Guido's is about as good as it gets. I will have to feast on the top quality steaks at the Cattle Baron and the like instead!

Post build progress - I'm sure it will generate quite a bit of interest and get others interested in WFOs.

Rossco
        Last edited by heliman; 02-04-2010, 06:44 PM.
        / Rossco

Comment

hay guys , thanks for your interest, all the way from perth.
          did u stay in S.A it sounds like it.

the wood is definitely top quality this side , gives the food an amazing taste.

im not very familiar with jhb, but i think if u can find a local pizza place, like -pizza perfect- and just source who built and supplied the building materials , then its a good start.

im in the architectural industry so have alot of reps, and catalogs coming in on indoor / outdoor wood fires, ovens so im gonna try find some quality, clay or rebricks for the hearths aswell as domes and proper cement to use. i have seen too many fails- dont wanna see anymore .... woop good to see some interest. will keep posted.

Comment

Re: refactory shops/suppliers

just did some research on some materials....found alot of companies that do refractory bricks,brick mortars,induction furnace linings,castables,proper refractory cement.

DOLF i recommend just doing some searches in yellow pages, or on the net for "refractories" there are alot. a few companies here in durban buld the ovens , but ur looking at R10 000 - R30 000 . why pay that when u can do it yourself. yes

good luck

Comment

Yes, lived in SAf for a long while but moved to Perth about 15 years ago. I get over there quite regularly - the last few times to present papers at academic conferences so fortunately someone else was paying the travel bills.

As mentioned PE has almost no pizza places to speak of - and EL even less (where we migrated from). Last time I was in PE (September '09) a new pizza place opened up - run by none other than Barry Hilton the local comedian. We popped around for a pizza and Barry was sitting outside and gave me some of his pizza to try. I ended up ordering a "Boere Boytjie" - biltong, wors and salami with extra chillies which wasn't bad. Cooking was done in a gas fired WFO look alike but I don't think the temp was right so the crust weren't cooked right. Barry was quite a nice guy to sit and chat to though so it was a pleasant evening.

Definitely look into WFO kits - and possibly imported ones at that. Some may be a bit pricey due to the exchange rate but possibly some good local ones available too. Could save you a lot of build time.

Now hurry up and get cooking - WFO makes a great change from a boerrie braai.

Rossco
              / Rossco

Comment

Barry hilton my cuzzin, hahaha too funny,he quiet these days. making movies

I will definitely look into getting a kit hay, sounds easy enuf but still checking out my options.

I guess i have that builders bug, i just wanna get started and create it from scratch., i got friends that are keen to help so it gets me pumped!!!

how is australia? i have family in perth, they say its like a mini south africa.

Comment

Yes, I saw Barry had made a movie recently and was also in Perth & Sydney to do a couple of shows. He did say to me that he thought Oz was k*k though but maybe after PE ... hmmmm.

Rossco
                  / Rossco

Comment

The whole WFO think is an escape from work side of life for me.I like a tired body at the end of a Sturday with something to look at for my efforts. Great alternative to the office week. Besides, fires are cheaper and more effective than shrinks, so I am into the journey as much as the oven. No kits thanks :-)

In Olifantsfontein (Between Johannesburg and Pretoria) I found a place called "Vesuvius" which is sort of a factory off-sales if you want. You stand in line for your 2 bags of fire caly inbetween truck drivers each picking up 6 Tonnes of whatever :-)
                    They sell firebricks of various description for some 2.5 Euro equivalent and 25Kg of fire clay for about E7.
                    So not cheap, but available. Since I got the bricks for free, I am not complaining.
                    The Vermiculite I got from a local hardware for E6/8kg

All I need now is more time to get there to build. I guess with current routines I should have the thing done in some 12 - 18months.
                    I will share my progress pics as I go, but for now I can share a pic of those who will be watching me while I build. Should be enough to lure all expats back :-)

Comment

Will there be some tasty wildebeest marinated in Klipdrift topped pizzas being offered some time soon???
                      / Rossco

Comment

No. no no! You have it all wrong. The Wildebeest & me share a Klippie & Eish (Local brandy to the non South Africans) while we watch the sunset. Ahh!

Comment

Doesn't sound too nourishing to me....
                          Last edited by heliman; 02-08-2010, 12:39 AM.
                          / Rossco

Comment

well since we are all in different areas ,yet share the same passions i think the best plan of action would be to use the materials we can get our hands on, and go at it..

dolf are u still researching?

when do u think u will start ur build?

we should document our progress and definitely post it up here when we start. hopefully mor ppl join. woop

Comment

The research will not stop I guess :-) although I have my plans and materials sort of covered other than the fire blanket. So I guess the insulation is still open ended. Vermiculite I reckon, but am also toying with the idea to use Sisalation (a sort of roof isolation foil) layers between oven & vermiculite.
                              I have the foundations cast. The oven is to be part of a rock walled lapa. I got rained out Saturday so I did not take pics. Will do so next time I am up there.
                              Is yours at home?

Comment

Working...
                              X