How about an oven built from steel lined with brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about an oven built from steel lined with brick

Hello, Im needing some advice. I have always wanted to build a wfo but as I rent it would make the proposal of building one hard to leave behind. I have never tried any masonary work but do consider myself above average building just about everything else. I have no issues building anything out of metal. My idea was to build a (box) and line the inside with fire bricks.

Any thoughts

Re: How about an oven built from steel lined with brick

Supporting the fire bricks is the biggest hassle, how do you stop them falling out?

Comment

There are some ovens on FB that are set inside large steel balls, but they still did all the masonry mind you. The steel exterior is just that, and exterior.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
      Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

A cast one is probably an option, they sell them here or you could could make one. That type appears to be moderately portable.

Comment

I guess it would be possible.....I think you would have to turn the box upside down and line the box with fire bricks starting at bottome (roof) and working up the sides to form the wall. Sounds like it might just work, but I think it would be an idea to use insulating material between the steel box and the bricks. Either line it with some insulating blanket or two...or some insulating cement...but you will need something to trap the heat. And seeing that outer structure will be metal....I would guess that if the heat was not insulated well....it would get pretty hot!!! Sounds like a intresting project though...post some pics as you go along and good luck!!

Scott

Comment

Here's the plan: build your oven on a dry-stacked stand, bridged with pre-cast lintels. Make your oven from firebricks mortared with the simple fireclay/sand mortar. When it's time to go, you just break apart the oven, hose off the mud from the bricks, fold up your insulation, dismantle the stand, and load it all in the truck. You've cleared your landlord's patio, and have a pile of building materials for your next project.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dat's what I'm talkin' about!

Comment

Thank you, all good advice. My idea was more along the lines of a completly portable unit like a bbq smoker but built more in the shape of a WFO. I would want to have the metal sides open so i could stack the bricks in and then take them out if I needed to move it. I would constuct it out of 1/4" metal. I could still do the arch ceiling by rolling angle iron guides that the bricks set in. I was just wandering if anybody has seen or thought of such a thing.

Thanks

Comment

You might want to have a peek at the oven I'm building. It is very similar to the design you are interested in, although maybe a bit smaller.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/s...ven-12367.html

Comment

I've been thinking about making a trailer mounted WFO and I wondered if a brick lined metal oven would work. Our wood stove uses 1/2 fire bricks. Seems like this should work for a pizza oven as well. Also I wonder why the oven needs to have a dome shape. Obviously if you using bricks an arch is going to be best solution. But wouldn't a metal stove lined with interior bricks work just as well? I think this design would hold up better to road vibration. Also you could install a external shell and fill the annulus with sand as thermal insulation.

Comment

Working...
                    X