temp probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp probe

gday guys and girls , firstly I would just like to say what a great forum this is and that you all have convinced me that I can build this thing!
    So far I have layed the slab and mortared and made sure first concrete bricks are square and level. I got to thinking after seeing a few pics on this forum that some builders are incorporating what looks like an internal temp gauge!
    I certainly would like to include that in my build and would appreciate any more info on the subject.
    Cheers
    dave

Re: temp probe

Hello, and welcome.

Search for thermocouple.

There's LOTS of information on the subject. The short version? Thermocouples are useful for serious bread baking and other retained heat tasks. They are less useful if pizza is your primary interest.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thx alot for the link , I think pizza will be the main dish on the menu but you never know? and I guess its a lot easier to build it in now than consider it later.
      cheers

Comment

Dave give me a call on Tuesday, we have the cheapest probes available, 0-500c, 5mm dial, 300mm probe. 0451470371. in Melbourne

Comment

Hi Dave and welcome aboard.
          Which part of Aus do you call home, as there might be plenty of local help that you can draw upon during your build.

Cheers.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I live in Hawthorn and seem to have caught this crazy disease of building a woodfire oven! it keeps me awake at night thinking of all the different ways I can do this thing. Already built myself an indipensible tool and im not even up to the dome! Main thing is its enjoyable and rewarding, pizza is a bonus!
            will post some pics of progress very shortly.
            cheers
            dave

Comment

hey johnny the oven man thx for reply, I will give you a call tue. I am hoping you will be able to fill me in on the ins and outs of fitting the thermocouple and where it is best situated.
              cheers
              dave

Comment

We also have a copper "sheath" that the probe can fit into. The store is in Nunawading.

Comment

Hawthorn, SA or Victoria. If SA, the we could get together to discuss your progress.
                  The fun also continues when you start using it. Unfortunately, I don't use mine as often as I should.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Johnny,
                    Why do you use a copper sheath? Copper is an extremely good conductor and will pull heat from the inside to the outside.Its thermal conductivity is 400W/mK compared to that of stainless steel 16W/mK Much better off with a stainless steel sleeve and as thin as possible.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Actually I used copper for my sheath and only considered this point after fittng it. I now use stainless.
                      Dave I used to live in Gibney St. and Riversdale Rd Student at Swinburne, You are making me feel nostalgic

Comment

Hey David s
                        believe it or not I used to live in townsville on cook st down near the strand!
                        many a late beer at the Mad Cow! with reference to the copper sheath does it make any difference to the indicated temp on the dial? where did you situate the probe and how many did you incorporate?

Comment

nissian im in Vic hawthorn.

Comment

here is the stand finished! all going to plan so far.

Comment

Dave,
                              I placed my probe about 1/2 way up the dome. I drilled right through and had the sheath and probe tip about flush with the inside of the dome. The reading was inaccurate at first (too low) until I realised that the probe was touching the sheath. This was corrected when I replaced it so it wasn't touching. Works well now, but you really don't need it. A cheap oven thermometer that you place inside the oven is just as good.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X