Roasting/baking meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting/baking meat

I want to roast/bake a whole fresh ham in my oven which has the chimney outside of the dome. How does one position the door? Will the dome fill up with smoke and smoke the meat rather than roast it if the door is fully closed as suggested in some recipes?
    Also when exactly do you need to use a door?

Thanks
    bobnnorm@ptd.net

Re: Roasting/baking meat

The degree of smoked flavor is up to you. You won't have any smoke contribution if you remove the coals first.

Comment

Remove some or all the coals to give you more room, but when you place the door in position you are starving the fire of oxygen and the fire will go out. Any coals left behind will remain as unburnt charcoal. I usually leave them there and they become fuel for when you fire again. I don't clean my oven of ash left behind too often either, maybe every third or fourth time I use it.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Agreed David S. Just let the wood burn down to coals and then put the meat in. When the wood is giving off a lot of smoke, such as when it is first thrown into the oven is when it imparts smoky flavor.
        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

If I want to get some smoke flavour, I use the above technique but throw half a handful of smoking chips onto the coals before placing the roast in the oven. When the door is closed they just smoke, not flame because there is not enough oxygen. With a flame present smoke particles will combust and you end up with hardly any smoke flavour.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X