X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fornax hominus
    replied
    Re: Cold WFO steam injection test

I also cook in cold temps and want to reduce ''open door'' time I figure about a 5f degree loss in a moderate oven every time I open the door .. I have been [in season ] throwng handfulls of snow in , it vaporizes quickly and what does not melts and steams with the door closed . A door port for steam injection seems the way to go .

Leave a comment:

• Sourdonate
    replied

I'm curious too, how's the steam injector working nowadays?

I'm trying to work out a steam injector for my new "portable" oven and I've been looking at electric autoclaves, steam cleaners and spa steam generators for a solution. It seems like a high pressure steam would be the most effective and the least likely have condensed water dripping out of the end.

Do you get water condensation/drips inside the oven?

Thanks, Faith in Virginia.

Last edited by Sourdonate; 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM. Reason: Changed size of photo

Leave a comment:

• vtsteve
    replied

There was a bit of steam activity on the homebrew forums a couple of years ago; it seems to have faded out again. But, they've got vendors for high-temp silicone tubing, hose barbs and disconnects. I try to avoid it, but a couple of times this year I've found myself baking in the 'teens, and I want to minimize heat loss (condensation) between the cooker and the oven. The silicone seems a good way to go, maybe sleeved with open-cell foam insulation.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Steve, Thanks for bring this back to the front.. Yep I really need to build one of these, without it the bread coming from the WFO doesn't compare to what comes from the home oven with a cloche. I'm in a bit of a bind in that I need to increase my bread production and can't do that without a bigger oven without some way to steam.. The crust is a huge part of real bread.

Thanks again Faith and Steve.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• vtsteve
    replied

I'm going to do this. I've had the turkey fryer for two years; last summer a friend gave me a spare pressure canner. I think I'll do a small hole next to the door, and a straight wand of stainless tubing (drilled along the sides, like a log lighter) to introduce the steam. Also, I wanted to bump this thread - it deserves to be seen!

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

Faith, can you give us an update on how you, the steam and bread are doing?

Thanks

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Thanks Jay, When I put the oatmeal raisin bread in the oven (bread pans) I was running the steam. I slightly over heated the oven so I was using the steam to take the bite off the heat. When I reach in to push in the pan it was a regular sauna in there.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Looks good Faith! Pretty much what I would expect from steam based on my limited experience with steam injection at SFBI. Higher gelatinization/thicker crust/good color/more pliable skin/faster heat "contact" (steam) and better oven spring (slightly more open crumb). Somewhat subtle but has the "look"

Great concept and application of technology!

Bravo!
    Jay

PS: I agree, the grayish loaf looks like it somehow had a drier experience!
    Last edited by texassourdough; 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM. Reason: expand comments after revisiting photos

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    That's an easy fix...get a bigger wife:-)
    She can always be: SUPER SIZED!

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

That's an easy fix...get a bigger wife:-)

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I'd still try it for $7

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Chip...that is a 30 quart Univex the 20 quart Univex is on the other side of the room.
    Nice and here I struggle along with a 5 qt kitchenaid. But I also give away over half my bread to friends neighbors, and family. I do not think my wife would approve of a mixer larger than her.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Chip...that is a 30 quart Univex the 20 quart Univex is on the other side of the room.

At the moment my bread is free. I just give it away to friends and family.

But, it will cost you $7...I had a good nights rest and I got that one right away..LOL

Just did 8 - 2lb loaves of oatmeal raisin in the oven with steam. They are not picture worthy. The bread is great and could not be better (well you know) but with the honey in the mix the crust get's dark brown. When you take a picture they look burnt, but they aren't. I guess a crumb shot would look good...

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I'd pay $4 or $5 for that any day.
    But, it will cost you $7!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I still think the steam injection needs a bit of tweaking. I had one loaf that appeared to be short on steam. I'm thinking a center of the oven loaf. I will look for that next time. In the video you can see the swirling so I think the center of the oven has a bit of eye of the hurricane effect. So perhaps a second pipe or the direction it's pointing...I'll work on that.
    In addition to the extremely nice looking bread I noticed a nice mixer in the corner, is that a 20 qt or larger?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X