My KitchenAid Mixer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My KitchenAid Mixer

In the spirit of getting things going with YouTube videos, and I have posted my first, very amateurish video. :-)

This is a 30-second clip on my whining KitchenAid mixer. More to come, with better content and better production values -- but hey, you need to start somewhere. Beside, I think this is going to be an excellent platform for sharing knowledge. Just think about how much we can do -- we could build an entire library of videos on everything you would ever want to know about wood-fired ovens.

But forgive me for the first few.
    James

Last edited by james; 04-06-2008, 06:19 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: My KitchenAid Mixer

good golly, I think I would resort to hand kneading.
    You know, it is recommended that hearing protection be worn with many power tools.....I think your KA qualifies.

RT

Comment

Annoying!!! That looks like the good ones - an original before KitchenAid sold their name to an overseas operation. Those old ones are the workhorses that made a great name for KA.

Mine seems to hit the bowl unevenly as it mixes and the bowl support jumps up and down - more of a clunking noise. Irritating, but not annoying. It will walk all over the counter while mixing dough on medium speeds.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post

Irritating, but not annoying. It will walk all over the counter while mixing dough on medium speeds.
        Ditto George~!

Try laying a large bath towel on the counter first. It helps some, and makes for quick and easy clean up!
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

My KitchenAide whined also......it finally attempted suicide by walking off the counter. It recovered somewhat and is now in foster care with a grateful friend. I bought an Electrolux mixer......love it love it love it. Handles all my dough so nicely, without whining or scooting.

Comment

I take my Kitchenaid out for walks now, or more correctly, it walks me. It whines at the neighbor's cat and the motor provides an exta heat source in the kitchen when I put too much dough in the bowl. I'm waiting for the ultimate cardiac arrest, when the thing's tongue is hanging out and just gives up in one last sad sudden jolt and then pukes a gear into the bowl. Then I get my Electrolux!
            GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by krosskraft View Post

I bought an Electrolux mixer......love it love it love it. Handles all my dough so nicely, without whining or scooting.
              That's next on my list. Does anyone with an Electrolux have a camcorder. I would enjoy seeing a demo. :-)

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

How fast are you guys running your mixers? I have the 5.5 qt KA mixer, and I always run the dough hook on the lowest speed. It hasn't complained yet, but then again, you've surely had yours much longer and made much more dough with it.

In any case, the slowest speed still seems to be faster than my hand kneading, and of course you can't beat the mixer for those sticky high-hydration batches. Is there an advantage to higher speed, other than...well, speed?

Just curious.

I'm sure I'll start to covet the big fancy mixers when I start looking at bigger batches, which I expect will send the KA running and screaming.

Ed

Comment

Found this link again while surfing this morning

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe

lower in the page it shows a link to a video with a DLX with scraper attachment in action.

Three Minute Pizza

Christo
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

The link to Jeff Varasano was extremely informative. He has clearly been working on perfecting his neoploitan dough recipe for quite some time. Well worth a read...quite long however.

This guy definitely needs a WFO.

Comment

Good link. I've spoken with Jeff, and he's a real enthusiast -- he wants to (maybe already has) go pro. I have to take a look at his video again.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Nice find Christo! Cool mixer!
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_ View Post
                          How fast are you guys running your mixers? I have the 5.5 qt KA mixer, and I always run the dough hook on the lowest speed.
                          I run mine at the "next to slowest" speed with dough hooks.

Comment

Mine made that whining noise on #2. Next to the lowest. I mix the dough and water on 1, wait 20 minutes, then mix on #2.

Wheeeeeeeee!

James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Mine no longer likes to shut off thanks to so much dough making...have to unplug it so that it doesn't eat my hand when I try to remove the bowl and dough hook...scary sometimes when I forget...it ate a spatula that way once...spent 20 minutes making sure all the splinters were out of the dough
                              Dutch
                              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                              X