Margherita - start to finish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margherita - start to finish!

Here is a video, shot pretty much in real time, of me making a Margherita at our restaurant, Campania Pizza, in Southlake. Some of it was done on a tripod and some hand-held. I had the camera practically in the oven at one point - and I was working the utility peel with one hand and the camera with the other...so it was getting a little dicey at the end.

I tried to embed the video, but if it is not done automatically by Mac, I have no clue...

YouTube - Margherita Pizza at Campania in Southlake TX

Re: Margherita - start to finish!

Wow, lots of bench flour. Nice looking pizza though.

Here's the youtube procedure. Type youtube in square brakets, then paste the youtube number, in your case 9F9-rNeRPrg then type /youtube in square brackets.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks, that was great. I could almost taste the pizza. How hot is your oven and floor? Does the basil not burn, being on the top? I put my basil under the cheese. Just wondering.

Comment

Thanks for tips on embedding...so easy it didn't make sense!

On bench flour: It was just after lunch rush so way more than we usually have.

The oven deck was probably only running 625-650 or so - which is why I put the pizza practically on top of the fire. The image got too dark because of the camera being in the oven, but I actually lifted the pizza to the dome just to finish off the top.

The basil doesn't really burn as it cooks for just a short time. Gets wilted. I like lots of basil and I was making this one for me to eat.

I will keep playing around with my camera to get some closeups and some "upskirt" shots.

Jay

Comment

Jay,

Is there some way I can get a copy of the video? Can't figure it out on YouTube. I'd like to be able to point my students to it for shaping and baking techniques.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Jim -

I posted it to my Mac Gallery and you are allegedly able to download it from the site below - although I have never tried it....

.Mac Web Gallery

Jay

Comment

I really dig that.
              This should put an end to the camp, that for some reason makes a crust ridge. As you can see. The crust is always where the sauce is not. It's that simple.

With a slower oven you can certainly get away with a mainstream oil/sugar dough. You may have connected both worlds.

Comment

Pretty cool oven. It seems to have an alcove on the side where the fire burns and keeps the oven floor free for baking. Also, it seems to step down there so that the wood doesn't roll out across the floor. Is that the case jjerrier?
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

It is the case indeed...if you've ever seen a full BBQ smoker with an offset firebox, it is kind of that deal. There is a door on the side where we feed logs. To get the oven up to temp (really just the first time), you build the fire on the deck and then move it into the firebox. As an added bonus, the floor actually has a motor in it that rotates at varying speeds. I will get a video of that too.

I wasn't sure how I felt about that as I like the old school ovens - but I will tell you that when we are cranking out pizzas, it is a lot easier with the rotating deck. Cooking 4-5 pizzas at once in a traditional oven is a bit stressful. The rotating deck makes it easier - but I think you get slightly better results the traditional way.

I'll take a video of that when we are busy so you all can see...

Jay

Comment

Jay,

Worked, thanks, but it's an M4V file, so I had to update Quick Time for my system to recognize it.

Jim
                    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Originally posted by jjerrier View Post
                      Here is a video, shot pretty much in real time, of me making a Margherita at our restaurant, Campania Pizza, in Southlake. Some of it was done on a tripod and some hand-held. I had the camera practically in the oven at one point - and I was working the utility peel with one hand and the camera with the other...so it was getting a little dicey at the end.

I tried to embed the video, but if it is not done automatically by Mac, I have no clue...

YouTube - Margherita Pizza at Campania in Southlake TX
                      Jay. watching the video just wondered what the other ingredient was besides the sauce, mozz, and basil. was it another cheese?? looked yellow. great result!!!
                      Gene

Comment

Nice! What kind of side loading oven is that? Good Job. You could use a spadle. Never get tired of seeing these.

Comment

The second cheese is just a sprinkle of parmesan...not traditional, but it was the way I was trained. We don't use anything but crushed tomatoes so I like a bit of saltiness on top.

I really don't like the side loading ovens - but mostly I don't like the rotating deck. But we can't do anything about it now...the pizza is coming out pretty good.

Here is another good link

2008 Independent Pizzeria of the Year - Campania Pizza & More

Jay

Comment

That was a great watch - thanks!

Les...
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

NICE article. Kinda surprised no mention of Camaldoli or Ischia.
                              Very impressive business model.
                              I am going to bed jealous and will probably wake up the same way.

Comment

Working...
                              X