Beer Can Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Can Chicken

Here is a short video on the Beer Can Chicken I made with the heat left in the oven after my bread bake. I can definitely say that the bread and chicken made a great dinner!

http://www.fornobravo.com/video/beer_can_chicken.mov

YouTube version to follow.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Beer Can Chicken

flip video?

Comment

Hey Patrick,

No, I am using our family digital camcorder. It's bigger and harder to work with, but I think the quality is better -- so I guess it's worth the effort.

The kids use the Flip and it's great for family trips.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Here is the YouTube version.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, Good video!
          I'm amazed that there is not more of a mess on the hearth; when I do beer can chicken on the BBQ I have always (after the first time, that is) placed a cut off coffee can directly under the chicken with coals surrounding the coffee can. The cut off coffee can collects the drippings etc. which seem greater than I would expect. This keeps clean up to a mimimum.

Obviously allowing the chicken to drip directly onto the hearth works or you wouldn't recommend doing it. I would think the dripping and consequent boiling of the fat would tend to spot cool the hearth and perhaps tend to cause some sort of degradation of the surface of the bricks. Obviously any residual fat from the chicken would be consumed and burnt off by the next firing; although one's mouth may be primed for chicken (due to the smell of the cooking fat) and the meal something different.

Although I haven't yet tried beer can chicken in my WFO, I have thought about it. I was planning on placing the chicken in a preheated cast iron pan both for ease of handling as well as collection of the drippings.

Wiley

Comment

WFO's are self cleaning. If you aren't making gravy, just toss the roast in on the floor, or for the fastidious, a piece of foil. I hate scrubbing greasy roaster pans.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
              WFO's are self cleaning. If you aren't making gravy, just toss the roast in on the floor, or for the fastidious, a piece of foil. I hate scrubbing greasy roaster pans.
              I'll second that. Vaporize is the word I was looking for. Let the fat drippings hit the hot cooking floor, and poof.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hmm, I just this minute put a chicken in the oven over a can half filled with rose wine and rosemary... and placed carefully inside a little cake tin for the drippings. That's the first time I've had to think of myself as fastidious, though. Maybe I'll leave it out next time...
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

If you put onions, garlic and potatoes and such in the pan under the chicken, you get really good roasted veg to go with the chicken... and you don't have to feel guilty about being tidy!

As one who only rarely cleans my oven, I do really like the fact that my wfo cleans itself... but why waste perfectly good chicken fat and juice?

I always hate it when Cooking Light (a magazine I do like) puts a beautiful roast bird on the cover and then, in the recipe, tells you to take off the skin and not eat it. WHAT'S THE POINT IF YOU CAN'T EAT THE SKIN?????? it's the best part!
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                    I always hate it when Cooking Light (a magazine I do like) puts a beautiful roast bird on the cover and then, in the recipe, tells you to take off the skin and not eat it. WHAT'S THE POINT IF YOU CAN'T EAT THE SKIN?????? it's the best part!
                    It's so true. But then when your doctor tells you to watch your cholesterol, you're made to feel guilty if you do eat it.

The obvious solution here is to avoid your doctor.

Ed

Comment

I agree with the whole skin being the best part of the chicken...I must confess that I one day want to go to KFC and order a bucket full of skin...mmmmm . My wife thinks I'm nuts, but wouldnt it be sooo good!!! LOL

Comment

Agreed. Personally, I think chicken is nearly tasteless (except for good crispy skin). I have actually been "caught stripping" fried chicken of the skin many times since I was a child.
                        My mother would tell me how selfish I was for stealing the best part for myself, my wife simply thinks it is disgusting (even though she agrees it is the best).

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                          I have actually been "caught stripping" fried chicken of the skin many times since I was a child.
                          My mother would tell me how selfish I was for stealing the best part for myself, my wife simply thinks it is disgusting (even though she agrees it is the best).

RT
                          I did the same when I was a kid (and...still do ), but I just told everyone that I was making the chicken healthy for them and they should be thanking me!! The skin is even better after a night in the fridge!!

Comment

My teenage kids are not fond of skin, so it behooves me to be a good example and eat healthy like them, right? Nah!!!

Comment

Hey James,,,
                              Nice looking chicken, I do mine in a frying pan,, Not worried about the oven floor, just like throwing in all the other stuff... Onions,potatoes, more garlic,,,
                              Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X