No announcement yet.

Interesting way to get a dome shape...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting way to get a dome shape...

Cut the dome angle into the face of the brick and lay it flat...

-------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Re: Interesting way to get a dome shape...

Never seen that before...pretty cool.
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I don't think it would be as strong as a proper dome.
      ...no-where near it... now I think about it.
      -------------------------------------------
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

Oh my, another uninsulated oven... (beats head on desk)
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

he must like to buy firewood,,, or we can hope he isnt finished yet !

Comment

Despite tapering the inner faces so as to avoid a stepped appearance on the interior, that is good old fashioned corbel arch. Not to pass judgment or anything, but theoretically that is a much weaker arch than a keystoned catenary (or pseudo catenary with the true catenary contained within the middle third of the actual arch).

...on the other hand, if it doesn't fall in, who cares? I get the impression these ovens are over-built beyond theoretical arch specifications by many orders so that nonideal shapes end up stable enough to do the job, i.e., to support the oven's weight long enough to use without impairing one's enjoyment of them (several years).

Best of luck.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
            Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

A corbel arch is not as structurally sound as compression arch (with keystone). Repeated heating and cooling cycles will further weaken it as the bricks creep back. In a normal compression dome (such as most of us build) heating and cooling cycles are not a problem.

I would strongly recommend against this type of construction.

Comment

I can't see the video (dial up can be a bummer) so I'm having to go on your description. If I've understood correctly, the cut side of the brick would be exposed to the interior of the dome, right? As I understand it the interior of a brick is somewhat softer than the exterior. (I'm not sure if that would also be true for firebrick.) If so, wouldn't that increase the likelihood of spalling?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                  I can't see the video (dial up can be a bummer) so I'm having to go on your description. If I've understood correctly, the cut side of the brick would be exposed to the interior of the dome, right? As I understand it the interior of a brick is somewhat softer than the exterior. (I'm not sure if that would also be true for firebrick.) If so, wouldn't that increase the likelihood of spalling?
                  I dont think its the cut side of the bricks concerning everyone here as much as the method of construction, The bricks are cut on an angle almost the full length to reach the center and receive very little support rom the brick below it.... I was trying to capture a pic from the vid to post for you but couldnt,, Can someone do that ?? Wood fired bread or pizza oven here is a link to pics of a similar corbel arch oven, But this builder didnt cut the bricks on the inside he left them whole

Mark

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the attempt.

I did understand the structural concern. I was just wondering if spalling would also be a problem. (Assuming the thing doesn't collapse first.)
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

I dont see why spalling would be a problem as long as he used regular fire brick and refractory cement.. Unless he had unusually large mortatr joints due to his cutting "technique" I think You might get a few stress fractures if your not counting that the same, or as you said it didnt collapse first,,,,,

Comment

An interesting approach to construction.

Comment

Working...
                        X