Commercial oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial oven build

note the use of full size bricks... & the fire management slot!

Last edited by Mitchamus; 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM.
    -------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Re: Commercial oven build

wow,, From the looks of things, they've done this before....

Comment

that is some serious thermal mass! i love their collapsible wooden dome frame, sure beats the heck out of sand!
      tht soldier outer liner reminds me of something though...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
        that is some serious thermal mass!
        Well they're using it everyday, so I guess they would want some to cut down on wood usage....
        -------------------------------------------
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

I like the music - in my top 5 movies.

This does bring up a question because of the mass. Why do professional bakers want to use a WFO? The essence of wood is gone so it adds no flavor. Why not just use a gas oven with a hearth insert? Jim...., others?

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

Legitimate and interesting question. I've used commercial gas decks, and they simply do not produce the same exceptional bread as a high mass WFO. The nature of a sealed, retained heat environment that radiates such intense yet constant heat yields results that I've never approached using gas or electric. There are very fine gas, steam injected French ovens, no doubt, but $$$$$.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I am sorry to tell you i cann't see the photos .

Comment

i don't see anything either

Comment

Does anyone here know what type of square gray stone they're using for the floor of this oven? Or why? It looks like its being tiled right on top of a fire brick layer but I can't find any threads on alternative materials to use for hearth stones. I've seen commercial WFOs that claim to have concrete pavers or stones of some kind as their cooking surface and I've also read up on soap stone on this forum but this material in the video seems mysterious. Thanks for the insight.
                  d

Comment

I've seen commercial WFOs that claim to have concrete pavers or stones of some kind as their cooking surface
                    Concrete pavers are a big no-no in a high heat environment. They will fail tout de suite. Castable refractory leaves a chalky surface you don't want to cook on. The only form of grey stone successfully used is soapstone.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Indeed a speedy reply. So you say the square tiles in this oven video, the gray ones, are most likely soapstone? It this the standard surface that most commercial pizza ovens are built with? If not what would that be? Firebrick?
                      thank you again
                      dave

Comment

Looks like soapstone to me. Not much of a thermal blanket, certainly not expanded perlite, a swept back chimney, and a whole lot of mass. Any idea what size it is. Yes, they do look like they have done it a few times.
                        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

soapstone? It this the standard surface that most commercial pizza ovens are built with? If not what would that be? Firebrick?
                          Firebrick, or the larger chunks of the same stuff, called refractory tiles, are the standard oven floor. Commercial operations change out the floor every few years, no way they'd use a pricey material like soapstone.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I think no also

Comment

Interesting video! I'm also immpressed by the lack of insulation. That thing must consume a whole tree to get up to temp.

Comment

Working...
                              X