From match to inferno in two minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From match to inferno in two minutes

Back in October I accepted a new position in California (from Wisconsin). It is killing me to leave the oven, it really is like leaving one of my children behind.

Anticipating the sale of my oven (I am throwing in the home as well) I shot a number of videos for the new owner, in hopes that the oven won't become a large planter or decorative fireplace.

You can find the first in the series on the subject of starting a fire, at the URL below. One match, one sheet of newspaper and six pieces of prebaked oak. The air dried wood in the video had been cut in the spring of this year - - so not particularly well seasoned.

Of course even with this process as part of my usual routine, I still keep my propane torch handy for those times that I forget to bake the starters in advance.

Video is here:
    YouTube - Starting a fire in a wood fired oven

Thanks for all your help.
    Jim
    Last edited by jcg31; 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM.

Re: From match to inferno in two minutes

It just goes to show that we need (or should I say that I need) to pre-dry the wood in the oven after the last firing.
    It also goes to show how a timber house with well dried timber goes up in flames so quickly. I think that I will stay with my preferred solid brick home!
    Great video.
    Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I never have any problems starting my fire. I use a single block of clean firelighter and no kindling. I stack it as per the video and it is ready for use in about 30 - 40 minutes. The wood is dried 5 - 10 years (I think 2% moisture but not sure) and comes from an arid area a few hours south of where I live.

I guess though this issue is relative to where one lives. The temp here of late has been hovering around the 40 C (104 F) mark. Wood sits in bags out the back and just gets drier.

I wouldn't mind a bit of that snowy weather though - it really looks so inviting!!!!!

Rossco
      / Rossco

Comment

Great video Jim, well done.
        Where in Ca. are you moving to?

Tom
        Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

nice video - I may want a copy so I can stick a computer monitor in my oven and keep a simulated fire going all the time!

Well produced as well. What software did you use to add the timer, etc?

Christo
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

Good luck on your move, Jim! Can't wait to see your next oven!
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

To Rossco:
              Here, when you get the urge just look at this and then go back to enjoying your year-round paradise.

To Tom:
              At the moment I am renting an apartment in Davis while we look for a place to buy. Too many options out there!

To Christo:
              The clock was done in Flash and brought into Adobe Premiere (video editing program). The elapsed time counter is an object in Premiere that can be easily added to any video.

To Mike:
              Thanks! And no shipping charges for mortar on the next one. Jim's place is an easy drive.

Jim

Comment

If you don't mind about an hour commute, assuming you are working in Davis, head to the foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe. Placing like Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City. Average temp this time of year 45 to 50F.
                If interested I can get you more information.

Tom
                Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Hey Christo,

I may want a copy so I can stick a computer monitor in my oven and keep a simulated fire going all the time!
                  Then you might also need a video of the pizzas coming out of the oven, good, because there was no work and no mess afterwards BUT alas, no smell no taste.
                  What a bummer! Get rid of the video and get the real thing going, and enjoy!

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
                    To Rossco:
                    Here, when you get the urge just look at this and then go back to enjoying your year-round paradise...
                    Woa Jim - that looks a bit extreme I have to say!!!!!

Nice pic for an Xmas card though!!

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

I went to school in Davis; really liked the town. If you're moving permanently to northern CA, though, I'm personally a big fan of Sacramento, in the older parts of the city close to downtown. The weather is good enough in most of the region most days, even in winter, for cooking outdoors (at least compared to your snow pic), so I wouldn't be surprised if there's another wfo in your future.
                      -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

it really is like leaving one of my children behind.
                        I tried that the kids kept following me (of course im kidding) Nice video,, Informative and great production

Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by trockyh View Post
                          If you don't mind about an hour commute, assuming you are working in Davis, head to the foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe. Placing like Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City. Average temp this time of year 45 to 50F.
                          If interested I can get you more information.

Tom
                          Thanks Tom,
                          I am actually already pushing it a bit being in Davis. Most of my work is between Davis and San Francisco and north. But if you know of any great areas in that region that don't have "air quality days" (new and dissappoint term to me) that would keep me from using my new oven once built, I am all ears.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Good luck with the move -- I hope it all goes smoothly and you like NorCal. There is a lot to explore within a few hours, with Sacramento, the foothills, Tahoe, Davis, San Francisco, Marin, the Wine Country, Monterey.

Great video. Very nice work.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Jim,
                              I have an oven I built in my backyard as well as cater with one on a trailer in the Sacramento area. As far as air quality days, this is from the Sac county air management board website and as you see, cooking is legal even on "no burn days".

Q: Are there exemptions?
                              A: The following rule exemptions apply to both Stage 1 ? No Burn and Stage 2 ? All Burning Prohibited categories:
                              -Homes where wood burning is the sole source of heat
                              -Financial hardship waiver approved by the Air Pollution Control Officer ? must be renewed each burn season
                              -Devices that operate exclusively with natural gas or propane
                              -Cooking devices
                              -Ceremonial fires related to specific religious activities

Comment

Working...
                              X