X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandoor oven / Chimenea?

Currently drawing up plans to make a tandoor oven, but came accross this:

Santiago Medium Clay Chimenea, 5055025620158

With a door stuck on to the side, surely this is perfect for a tandoor oven? Skewers can fit in the top fine, however not sure if naan bread will stick or if it is big enough (or even safe) to put naan breads into.

Any opinions/thoughts?

Re: Tandoor oven / Chimenea?

Dunno. I wouldn't use it if not made in the US - there's no way to tell about the lead content. Not an issue for kabobs, particularly, but if you're baking bread on it then it's a real concern.

If you mean the kind of bread I think you do, then there's little difference. It needs something to stick to while it bakes. I would think the traditional tandoor would be better as it would be much easier to manage the bread.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

These little guys wouldn't really do what a tandoor will do. I have cracked a few of these I think mostly because of the lack of tollerance to quick heating, the're most often made of low quality, low fire clay. I suppose that you could do meat tandoor style, but keeping the heat up and even would be a real chore.

Chris

Comment

Uninsulated= hot on the inside and cold on the outside = stress on the materials and highly prone to cracking.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

How would you go about insulating that anyway?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

The Tandoors that I have seen are insulated, I think, but they're open on the top and on the side of the combustion chamber at the bottom. They have a load of thermal mass, but are decidedly less about holding the temps once the fire is out. I don't think a chimenea would have the mass to heat well and then hold the heat. I remember a few around here who cracked ceramic chimney flue pipes and the supposition was that it was uneven heating and those who had roughly the same setup with vermicrete surrounding these flues didn't have cracking. I think I'd go for the tandoor if you're going to use it. If not and you just want to try, build you fire slowly..

Best of luck to you and please keep us looped in.

Chris

Comment

If you want to build a tandoor - there is a build log with pics here:

VillaGok tandoor oven
              -------------------------------------------
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

Cool link! Thanks!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Oasis,

Try this link Oil Drum Tandoor it tells you how to convert an old oil drum in to a tandoor - good luck.

Look for "damaged oil drums" as these are very cheap try gumtree seeing you are in the UK.
                  Where can I find logs? I need more!
                  Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

great link - thanks for posting!
                    -------------------------------------------
                    My 2nd Build:
                    Is here

Comment

Just finished a tandoor using the Forno Bravo methods insulated base, fire brick bottom Italian fired clay pots, insulated oven, stucco exterior stainless steel inlet and stainless cover. The oven works very well can maintain any desired temperature. Quite a bit of work but well worth the effort. Looks great near my wood fired oven.

Comment

md.guthrie,
                        Any photos? How about details on the pot?

Comment

Working...
                        X