Fireplace in my extended vent landing area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireplace in my extended vent landing area

I had to extend my vent landing area to 21 deep to account for a number of planning flaws. Since my inner arch is only 10 1/2 high ( I forgot about the 2 inch shiplap fire tiles I used for the oven floor), I wanted a flared vent landing to be able to comfortably work the oven, so I am 35 in wide from inside of outer arch to inside. Now, I believe that if I had a stainless steel door to cover the inner arch, that I could use the vent landing as a fireplace when I wished. I am currently thinking about my vent floor. Since I have a 1/4 inch heat break all around the arch and floor, stuffed with insblock 19. I could use a real pretty granite or stone of some kind or... use the same 12x12x2 shiplap tiles (fire) for the vent landing floor, AND, use it as a fireplace (no damper needed). For all I know, it may accidently be very "Rumford". What say you all?

Tom

Re: Fireplace in my extended vent landing area

You don't need to block off your oven to use it as a fireplace. Just rake the fire forward after it's going well, and the same flue gas dynamics that makes your oven burn clean and hot will work up front, as well.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Fireplace in my extended vent landing area

And that is the solution to the fireplace/oven combo conundrum.

Comment

Working...
      X