Limit on Dry Stacking Concrete Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit on Dry Stacking Concrete Block

I'm thinking a putting an outdoor fireplace into an outdoor kitchen design and making myself out of concrete block, firebrick and finishing it in stucco. I want to make sure that the fireplace draws well and going up 25 feet seems to ensure that this will work.

Is there a limit as to how high I can go simply stacking the concrete block and filling with cement and rebar? Can I go 25ft high or at some point is is just too much weight?

Re: Limit on Dry Stacking Concrete Block

Gator,

Personally, I wouldn't go higher than six feet with the dry stack method. It's not so much compression as lateral stability that would concern me. For what you're planning, I'd go for a traditional mortar joint from the ground up. Why 25 feet, by the way? You could get lots of draw at half that.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Just as a side note, the dry stack and fill method works with eight inch (full size) concrete blocks. Once you get up over the support slab, you don't need that much masonry surrounding your chimney. Four inch blocks are easier to lay up, lighter to lift, cheaper to buy, and all that code requires to surround your flue tile. They even make chimney blocks to make the job easier.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Sorry - Off topic to the original question but....

Dave, The link to the chimney stone also showed a precast chimney cap.

Anyone know if these are reinforced and made of a heat tolerant concrete?

Looks almost like some of the cast refractory vent transistions I seen on this site......

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
          Dave, The link to the chimney stone also showed a precast chimney cap.

Anyone know if these are reinforced and made of a heat tolerant concrete?
          I think those are just plain concrete. In construction they are up on top of the roof, where being water resistant is more important than being heat resistant.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
          X