Oven over the fireplace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven over the fireplace?

I read below that it's not recommended to put a fireplace below the oven and I was wondering the reason as why not to. For those of you that have, how did you create the chimmney for the fireplace and what dimmensions did you make it? I am hoping to do a corner installation like:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...2828/1_005.JPG

thanks in advance!

Re: Oven over the fireplace?

I used to be against this design for two reasons, but my thinking is changing. It is true:

1. You can't have the fireplace and oven working at the same time.
    2. You have to either make the enclosure large, or the oven small, in order to run the chimney from the fireplace behind the oven.

Having said that (again), we have all seen some very nice-looking installations with oven on top and fireplace below. I think if that's a look you like, and you can see times where you will get enjoyment out of both the fireplace and the oven -- then go for it!

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      I used to be against this design for two reasons, but my thinking is changing. It is true:

1. You can't have the fireplace and oven working at the same time.
      2. You have to either make the enclosure large, or the oven small, in order to run the chimney from the fireplace behind the oven.

Having said that (again), we have all seen some very nice-looking installations with oven on top and fireplace below. I think if that's a look you like, and you can see times where you will get enjoyment out of both the fireplace and the oven -- then go for it!

James
      Thanks for the quick response. What is the issue with using them both at the same time?

Btw, love your setup. It is one of the things inspiring me to build my own :-)

Comment

Off the top of my head.......burned legs or at the very least "hot pants", when trying to use the oven at the same time as a fire burns in the fireplace.

RT

Comment

Hi I am new here and have come across this post. I built a deck and put the fireplace on grade level facing the opposite side of the pizza oven. You may be able to use this idea. The chimney for the fireplace is working too hard to suck smoke. I took a chance and will have to live with a less than perfect draft for the fireplace. You can see my design at gentrycustomhomes.ca/pizzaoven/index.html

Comment

You can see my design at gentrycustomhomes.ca/pizzaoven/index.html
            This is a good looking project: I don't see anything that would cause your fireplace vent problems, other than that outdoor fireplaces just don't draw very well due to the lack of temperature difference between outdoor and indoor that makes indoor fireplaces draw.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Very pretty project.

When I was looking at the pictures it looks like the ceiling of the fireplace is flat. I could envision some turbulance happening up at the top of the fireplace as the smoke tries to find an exit.

I'm no fireplace expert and have never made one. Would it help to rework the firebox and slope the backwall toward the chimney opening? It might reduce turbulance and direct the flow of air towards the chimney better. might be able to use cement board to make a trial before you enter in to any work... Course it may just make the smoke go out the front more easily.....

Christo
              Last edited by christo; 09-16-2008, 07:50 AM.
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X