X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bimbo
    replied
    Re: Bricks suitable for fireplace

Well I have finally finished my fireplace . I ended up using mainly leftover bricks from the pizza oven and I went to the place that sells refactory stuff and they had a bunch of damaged 300mmx30mmx50mm bricks which I bought and used for the top part and roof of the fireplace. Lit it up last night and even though the outside temp was 30c it still drew really well and the only time it puffed smoke was when a stiff breeze blew.

Cheers
    James

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Mandylee View Post
    Would old fire bricks from an internal fireplace from a 1920s bungalow be suitable for pizza oven?
    Youll get more response if you start your own thread rather than tacking your question onto the end of a 2 year old thread.

Leave a comment:

• Mandylee
    replied

Would old fire bricks from an internal fireplace from a 1920s bungalow be suitable for pizza oven?

Leave a comment:

• Rainwolf
    replied

You might want to look into a cob or clay oven instead of brick if firebricks are to expensive. I will be using firebricks for the floor and a clay dome myself since a 100lb bag of clay is less then 20 dollars and firebricks are 1.50 each.

I also am planning to have a fireplace under the oven for non-oven nights and that will require firebrick and high temp concrete/mortar so my budget can not take more for the oven. :}

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

If it does crack or spall, you can always get the cast-iron fireback later.

Leave a comment:

• bimbo
    replied

after much reading on the net I have found that i can use dry pressed clay bricks. because it will not be subject to the same intens heat that a pizza oven is you can use the pressed clays instead of firebricks, this is what all older fireplaces are made from.

ordering a bunch of them tomorrow and then next weekend construction of the fireplace begins

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

Originally posted by bimbo View Post
    Might see if i can get thinner firebricks which i would assume would be cheaper.
    Unfortunately they will likely be more expensive...at least they are here...for us they end up to be about twice as much for the "splits"
    Good luck!
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

I think one of the other Aussie's here (NissanNeil?) has mentioned that "pressed reds" work well in oven/fireplace applications.

Leave a comment:

• bimbo
    replied

Originally posted by bimbo View Post
    so even though the bricks will not get as hot as in an oven I still require the same bricks and can't use insulating bricks or some other type.
    Anyone?

Cheers
    James

Leave a comment:

• bimbo
    replied

so even though the bricks will not get as hot as in an oven I still require the same bricks and can't use insulating bricks or some other type. Might see if i can get thinner firebricks which i would assume would be cheaper. I did a bit of ringing around and found firebricks for 3.30 each which is a bit better.

On the up side the colour of firebrick will actually fit in well with the bricks I am using around the fireplace

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Did you read the firebrick primer?

Brick Oven Design | Choose the Right Brick Oven Brick

At the cost of brick in Australia, it may pay to go with a modular fireplace unit.

Leave a comment:

• bimbo
    replied

I had a look around at different types of firebricks and was wondeing what types of firebricks are suitable for fireplaces?

Leave a comment:

• bimbo
    replied

the reason i am trying to find alternatives is that here in OZ firebricks are around the $4-5 mark EACH , makes for a pretty expensive fireplace, especially when you have to for out for another 200 odd for an oven.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Back before they had firebrick, and there was no alternative to red brick fireboxes, they often used cast iron firebacks:

This prevented the masonry from being damaged by thermal shock, or at least hid the damage if it happened.

In the US, firebrick fireplaces are still pretty standard, and that's why firebrick is inexpensive to source locally in a lot of places.

Leave a comment:

• bimbo
    replied

So are there suitable alternatives?
    I was told that i could use terracotta? tiles or aussie pressed red bricks or are eiter of these going to crack etc as well?

Cheers
    James

Leave a comment:

Working...
X