Winter Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Usage

I'm curious how many people use their outdoor fireplaces in the winter? To me, sitting outside by a fire and cooking a pizza in the WFO sounds awesome..

Even a lunchtime pizza party with everyone snuggled around the fire while the pizza's cook might be fun on a cold day. Makes me want to be sure my fireplace radiates as much heat as possible!

-Shay
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: Winter Usage

I don't know about you guys up North, but down here I don't even start using my oven until September......then go all winter until May. Winter is my favorite time for the oven!!!!

Comment

I am right with krosskraft! I am shut down for the summer (unless a cold front happens by and that is totally unlikely. Just too hot until well after dusk. This is when we down south lust after a cool evening!
      Jay

Comment

I used to live in Arizona and still visit my mom on occasion down there so I know what you're talking about..

But, I should have apparently been a bit more specific and stated I was curious what those who actually see snow more then once every 20 years do.. within 2 borders of Canada even..
        Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

We are here in the northeast and ues it all year round. We just bring the heat up more slowly in the winter!!
          Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

After Thanksgiving this past year I basically closed up my WFO for the winter. Not every year but every few years we see snow. Here are some photos of last winters snow. At my age the idea of sitting around a blazing campfire while it is snowing is somewhat less appealing than in my youth; rather to sit around the fireplace inside with steaming cup of cider or whatever.

Things have changed in layout: the canvas awning is removed and replaced with an aluminum pavilion. Getting up during the night and beating the snow off the canvas got old very quickly.

How much use my WFO gets in upcoming winters has yet to be decided.

Wiley

Comment

Wiley, nice barn house.. I've always wanted something like that with a timber frame. I also see you're a fellow hot tubber..
              Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Unless it's raining...we use it year round.

But sometimes if it's a really cold night...like in February... one of the girls will pull a sweat shirt on over her bikini top.

Bill

Comment

Year round, the oven does not retain heat as well when it is -15F. We had a pizza party on New Year's Eve and it was -5F when we did the pizza as I recall.

Keep cooking.
                  Chip

Comment

We have an outdoor fire pit that we use all winter unless it's actually snowing or raining- we're in the process of building a covered patio with a fireplace and separate oven so we're hoping to be able to use both all winter except on the coldest days. We also have a hot tub and the colder outside the better!

Comment

Working...
                    X