High Duty Firebrick for Fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Duty Firebrick for Fireplace

I think I found a source of High Duty Firebrick and I was wondering if this would be a good choice for a fireplace? The guy selling them says their from a wood & oil furnace and that they're pretty heavy which makes me think high duty. I know high duty isn't good for an oven so I was thinking a fireplace?
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: High Duty Firebrick for Fireplace

The word on High duty firebrick, which are made for continuous high heat operations like blast furnaces, is that they are hard to cut, and expensive to buy, since they are a specialized refractory product. Masonry heater builders use them for the inside of the firebox: I'm not exactly sure why. I'm not convinced they make any difference in oven operation. I mean we've had people build ovens from hand dug mud, for gosh sakes, and they work perfectly well if they are properly insulated.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yeah.. the big question is will high duty work well to reflect heat in a fireplace.. I want the best brick to reflect as much heat as possible to those sitting around the fire.
      Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Blacknoir, In my experience the most effective way to reflect heat back out thru the front of a fireplace is by use of what is sometimes called a "fireback".

Often these were cast in iron or semi-steel, and they served two purposes: 1) they reflected the heat back out the front 2) they protected the more delicate firebrick directly behind the fire from damage both due to logs etc striking or by burn thru due to high heat and long use.

They often depict in deep relief famous scenes in history, literature or art. They are quite heavy. Do a Google search of "fireback" and you will find lots for sale. Before I would purchase a high priced one I would check with the foundry that casts the manhole covers for your city. These are/were local foundries and you could get quite creative (if you were so inclined) at perhaps a more reasonable price.

hope this helps,
        Wiley

Comment

Will do Wiley, thanks!
          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Before I would purchase a high priced one I would check with the foundry that casts the manhole covers for your city.
            Sadly, the day of the local foundry is done. I know of one in the whole country which will make small scale one-off castings. It's in Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania.

Our manhole covers come from India, btw.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I found one on craigslist but I'm not a fan of flowers so I'll hold off and keep an eye out. Won't need it for a while yet.
              Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

The day of the local foundry may be past but there are still a few vestiges if one knows where to look. Try:

HERN IRON WORKS

HERN IRON WORKS
                3610 Hern Road ,
                Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
                Phone: 1-800-228-7794 208-765-3115
                Fax: 208-664-8540

Contact Sales : Joel Brown

I just got off the phone with Joel on a "cold call inquiry" and for a fireback (your pattern) 2 ft wide and 18 inches tall and 3/4 inch thick would run you $160 plus shipping. That's cast in iron.

Hern Iron Works also casts treadles for old printing presses and that's why I know of them. I suspect there are other small foundries scattered all over the country happy to get the work. I made a call to a foundry in Seattle and found two more (Thompson" in BC, Canada) and another in Idaho (Kitts Foundry). I know something of Hern and their products, and would recommend them. I didn't call either Thompson or Kitts.
                Wiley

Comment

Holy Cow! I haven't even poured my foundation for cryin out loud!! Course, that hasn't stopped me from searching out parts.. thanks for the info!

I'll have to give them a call later and see what they'd take for a pattern. Something personalized would be very sweet. Hmm.. wonder what others have done to personalize their ovens.. me thinks me needs a new post..
                  Last edited by blacknoir; 06-16-2009, 07:22 PM.
                  Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Working...
                  X