No announcement yet.

Excel tankless on-demand water heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel tankless on-demand water heaters?

Has anyone used one of these type water heaters in their outdoor kitchens?

Amazon.com: Excel 1.6 gpm Natural Gas Ventfree tankless water heater: Kitchen & Dining

I understand there is another brand called Ecco.
    Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Re: Excel tankless on-demand water heaters?

Not sure if you are asking about on-demand water heaters in general or specific to an outdoor kitchen...
    There are MANY brands of tankless water heaters. They are the standard means of supplying domestic hot water pretty much everywhere but in the U.S.
    I researched them exhaustively when I was building my home.
    One big, big thing to keep in mind is that the gpm rating for output is 100% relative to the incoming water temp. The spec that you want to pay attention to is what the temperature increase is for that gpm spec. For instance, I live in MN. In the winter, the incoming water temperature is in the 35F range. The unit you linked says it supplies 96 gallons of heated water with a 45 degree temp rise. At my house, that would only be 80F water in the winter. Even in the summer, I would barely break 100F.
    Extremely hard water will decrease the life span of the unit.
    Whether or not they can live outside depends on your climate.

All of those things aside, I think it seems like a pretty good solution if you want hot water for your outdoor kitchen. Another thing to consider would be a point of use unit. They are typically electric and designed to live under the countertop. FWIW, you can get an electric on-demand water heater, too.

Comment

OK, here's what I have in mind: I would like to use an on-demand unit like this one in 3 different applications and I intend to make it easily transferable with quick disconnects. What I'm looking for is if someone here has a unit like this or something similar and can give a first-hand account or recommendation.

I want a small on-demand unit to use for sink use, washing dishes mostly. And I'd like to take the unit in my camper to use for showering purposes as well as dishes. Also, I have a large stainless steel sink that I'd like to start using when I cater and do BBQ competitions.

Looking at these scenarios, there will never be a time where I will need to use all 3 sinks at the same time. If the unit is easily transferable, this will be a win for me.

So, long story short, can this unit work for what I have in mind?

Thanks

NOTE: I see that for $10 more I can get the big brother for this unit that has twice the gpm output. Thats a no-brainer.
      Mark

Comment

the one you linked runs on natural gas. Your camper and any portable supply would be propane. Some NG appliances are convertible to run on propane but the two are not interchangeable on the fly as far as I know...different delivery systems and flow rates.
        AFIK, there is no such thing as a quick disconnect for NG. It is a taped screw or solder fitting in all of my experiences. If there is such a thing as an on-demand heater that runs on or is convertable to propane (my guess is there is since many remote areas rely on propane), it would in all likelihood NOT come with any kind of a quick disconnect as standard. Which is not to say you couldn't add the standard LP tank screw fitting to it somehow.
        Then, consider how you will address the water supply. I am not familiar with what actually delivers the water in a camper supply (gravity flow?) nor in a BBQ/outdoor setting (garden hose?) A water heater is designed to have a soldered or water tight screw connection at the water inlet. Neither of these fittings lend themselves to on-the-fly connect/disconnect, but again, perhaps you could rig something that would work that way.

I think it COULD work, but at the very least, it will require a lot of screwing around.

Comment

They make both NG and LPG units

Amazon.com: EXCEL 3.2 gmp LPG Tankless Gas Water Heater Boiler: Kitchen & Dining

In all of my potential applications, I will have access to supplied water under normal pressure.
          Mark

Comment

I have not used this exact inline water heater, but the idea of an inline water heater is quite common. I'm curious to know how this one works if you decide to buy it. I googled looking for the product and couldn't find any reviews.
            Mark - I'm an outdoor kitchen designer and contractor

Comment

I have an Eccotemp L10 tankless water heater for my certified trailer kitchen and have been very impressed with it. You could easily set it up for multiple locations with standard propane connections and quick connect water lines. You would need quick connections for the inlet and the outlet hot water side. Just hard plumb the supply side (cold water) and you are good to go.
              The unit weight about 8 lbs and is designed for wall mounting.
              A word of caution. The propane and NG versions are desiged to be used outdoors. You have do to a B-vent conversion or other venting in order to mount the unit inside. I just mounted it outside and ran the pipe in where needed.

Good Luck
              Bruce
              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Thanks, Bruce. Thats just what I was looking for when I posted this question.
                Mark

Comment

I just ordered the Ecco L10 from Overstock.com. Thanks!
                  Mark

Comment

great ! Let us know how it works out for you.

Pictures are always a must

Bruce
                    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                    X