Outdoor Kitchen Legal Requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Kitchen Legal Requirements?

I live in Alberta & am planning an outdoor kitchen build. Do I need to go to the city for approval on this & get some kind of building permit, or can I just have at it?

S.

Re: Outdoor Kitchen Legal Requirements?

No one on this forum can answer this definitively for your city.. for that you actually have to ask them.
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

My guess is that anything that involves plumbing and electricity will need a building permit. A simple freestanding brick oven can pass as a masonry barbecue, but an outdoor kitchen will need formalities.

Building anything without a permit can bring on problems with insurance, and resale of the property. You're always safer to get a building permit.

If you speak with someone in the building department informally, and they say "sure, go ahead" be sure to make careful notes of who you spoke to and when. It could save problems later on.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Good advice, thanks
        S.

Comment

My knowledge of Calagary building bylaws suggest that you will not need a permit.

Having said that, I strongly suggest that you visit your local building department and talk with them. Both for the reasons Dmun outlines and for specific information with respect to setbacks from property lines and buildings.

Comment

I've seen 3m quoted as the distance from anything combustible. Seems a little excessive to me! Although I suppose if the back of the oven is 1m from the property line & the oven is 6' deep then its alright, but I don't think I'll build one that big...
            S.

Comment

Working...
            X