WHere to position oven... City Codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHere to position oven... City Codes?

Looking to position my pizza oven in the right spot. Currently if I build the oven where I have chosen I think I will run into some City building or Fire codes. Anyone aware of the building codes for Brea, CA (Orange County).

I have heard that you want to be 5", 3', and 5' (all different answers) from the property line. Looking to get an answer from someone that has been though this.

The easy answer is just ask the city, but its the weekend and they aren't open. Anxious to start laying the foundation this weekend.

Re: WHere to position oven... City Codes?

Ask the city...don't do a bunch of work for no reason. I know you want to start but in the long run you will be happy you did your homework first.

Comment

I understand, but have come across a lot of horror stories about being turned down on building the ovens in California.

Comment

I live in Camarillo (Ventura County) and the whole process was easy and FREE. Went in and said I was building a Barbecue, and asked whether I needed a permit. They said no, but it needed to be zoned. The zoning guy asked a few more details, which I then told him it was more like a pizza oven than a barbecue. Come to find out it really didn't matter, answer was the same, keep it 3 feet for the property line. After a little conversation I asked if I could be any closer, and we agreed upon 3 feet from the inner dome wall to the property line. He put it in writing, and said it would go in my microfiche. Hope you get the great service I got!

Comment

I never inquired about the property line but was told it needed to be 10 foot from ANY combustible material (ie. house siding in my case). I would assume a wood fence would come into play if that is the case. As mentioned, talk to the city. You don't want to go through this process to have issues from neighbors, re-sale, etc...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
            I live in Camarillo (Ventura County) and the whole process was easy and FREE. Went in and said I was building a Barbecue, and asked whether I needed a permit. They said no, but it needed to be zoned. The zoning guy asked a few more details, which I then told him it was more like a pizza oven than a barbecue. Come to find out it really didn't matter, answer was the same, keep it 3 feet for the property line. After a little conversation I asked if I could be any closer, and we agreed upon 3 feet from the inner dome wall to the property line. He put it in writing, and said it would go in my microfiche. Hope you get the great service I got!
            Did they inquire about the chimney?

Comment

They asked me about how tall the project would be and I said I thought it would be approx 6 foot. I haven't built my oven yet, just planning for it right now. The didn't ask specifically about a chimney, and I didn't offer to tell them. They didn't ask anything abut combustibles either.

Comment

"He put it in writing,"

Great ! If you can it in writing that is the best. If not, document the meeting/discussion with date, time and names and keep this in a file.

Go with what your local building department says. Building without approval can lead to all kinds of bad things ranging from having to tear it down to voiding your house insurance.

Comment

Working...
                X