Pavilions, pergolas, and other structures that can fall on you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavilions, pergolas, and other structures that can fall on you

For my new build, I had been combing the site and saw a few pizza oven photos where they had it in a structure with seating facing it. One had a TV in the corner and seating like a bar, which I think ultimately earned my wife's approval. My new place has a spot where I think I have about an 18x18 patch to throw down something pretty involved. However, I'm trying to understand some of the terms so I can talk about these stuff more competently.

What I understand is that a pergola has an open roof. The wood crosses overhead and looks very pretty, but isn't going to stop some rain. Meanwhile, a pavilion does have some kind of roof.

I was hoping to find something or design or whatever that was a single-roof pavilion. That is that it would be tallest from the side where there'd be the bar, and it would slope down away from that to the opposite end, where I'd put the oven. Along the sides would be other various outdoor kitchen features not yet determined. I figured I'd install some metal roofing on top, and now I ponder whether or not I now have a good excuse for installing a passive solar heater for my pool on top of that.

Has anybody seen anything more in this realm? I am hoping to at the least find some inspiration, and if I don't think I can build it myself, I want to at least have some real examples to get the point across to my favorite contractor.

Re: Pavilions, pergolas, and other structures that can fall on you

Here ya go.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
      Here ya go.
      Are you planning to cover it or keep it open?

Anyways I was hoping for a roof slanting in a single direction. I guess that would be a more modern look. I'm not going to poopoo what you're doing; that lines up with your house very well.

The main thing that triggered our attention in this direction was this:
      Austin Texas Pizza Oven Photo

I live in Austin and would like to see what this looks like in person, but I don't know how to contact the photo submitter.
      Last edited by Rocko Bonaparte; 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM. Reason: Adding quote

Comment

We measured out the area where this could go and realized 18x18 was just too big. I was generally losing a good sense of perspective, so I measured out my current kitchen and decided the main active area there is roughly 12x8. If I make that 12x16 to accomodate a nice seating area then I think I get what I want in a form factor that's more reasonable. I can go 16 feet one way fine but not the other. It also splits the area neatly into cooking and serving, so maybe I can do something with a normal split roof.

Side note: My wife comes from a family tradition of building everything out of cinder blocks and 2x4's, but I don't see how that's going to work here in any particular way.

Comment

Go big. You can always use more shade or rain cover. Here is my pavilion in Texas with large timbers, metal roof, brick and stone mix.
          Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Hi Rocko,

"GO BIG", you always get that from a Texan! Damn, you're a Texan, too. So, never mind.

Comment

We built an enclosed (screened) area with a single slant, metal roof for our oven and entertaining area on an 18x18 slab. With our table & chairs for six in the enclosure it's pretty comfortable, but any more than six people and it seems a bit crowded. Don't forget that you need a pretty good working area in front of the oven and anybody sitting with their back to you (while working the oven) needs to sign a waiver about "peel strikes to the head" (...especially if you have a small space and there are adult beverages being enjoyed). After nearly three years experience in "the den", our only regret is that we didn't make it larger.

As was said by several folks earlier, go as big as you possibly can and you won't regret it...unless you never intend to have folks over and then what's the point?
              Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
              Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
              Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
              Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

The spot where I wanted to do an 18x18 area is between the house and the pool. So on one side I'd have a pool limiting my width, and on the other side I would have the A/C unit blocking me from getting wider. I could flip the direction in which I'd want to do the oven, but then it would be facing towards the house, so it would not be focal point; you couldn't see it from a wide variety of angles and appreciate it.

On the other side of the back yard I do think I have a spot where I can do an 18x18 pad or even larger. It would put me further away from my indoor kitchen. It would also put a big enclosure right outside the master bedroom and master bathroom windows.

Comment

Mine's on the other side of the pool from the house. If you include counter with water, sink, and a mini fridge it's not too bad being away from the inside kitchen. The focal point walking out the back door and seeing the oven is nice and inviting to extend the back yard. The view is good from anywhere in the back of the house as well.
                  Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Working...
                  X