smoke from pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoke from pizza oven

Does anyone have there pizza oven around 10' from the house I am wondering does the smoke from the oven get in I'm worried about in the summer time when the windows are open will it become a nuisance? I'm just thinking to close may be worse than better. Any regrets?? Anyone??

Re: smoke from pizza oven

Smoke at startup is one of the drawbacks of a cross draft flue that the Pompeii incorporates.An updraft system will not smoke out the front unless the chamber is overloaded with fuel. It is possible to fire a front flued oven with no smoke coming out the front if you start with a really small fire underneath the flue, gradually increasing it and pushing it back a little each time you do. in Pompeii the smaller ovens that i saw which were presumably in people's homes were centre flued updraft ones. I think the reason was probably because they did not like smoking up their houses. The large oven at the bakery is different. It utilizes a front flue which retains heat better and presumably fired every day and never got cold.
    Last edited by david s; 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My oven is 15 ft from the house and no problem with smoke except the previously mentioned startup. certain wood like walnut or hackberry will give off a little smoke when just starting up but dry oak, maple and elm are not an issue.

My pool deck is 5 ft above the base of the oven and is less than 5 ft from the pool deck and no problem there either.

If your oven or wood is wet or sap laden you will not be able to get rid of smoking issues until you fix those issues.

Check with your property laws 10 ft is not a very large setback make sure you do not get in trouble with the fire department or city hall.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

Hi

Mine only smokes during startup but if I am careful even that is minimal. Make sure there is a "solid" flame at all times and add larger pieces of wood slowly. Do not smother the fire with large logs and you will bo OK.

If I am careful I only get smoke for the first 5 mins until the kindling is burning. Then I slowly add larger pieces , one at a time.

Once up to temperature there is no smoke.

BC

Comment

Agree with all above, only during start up, you may adjust on windy days that are towards your house, you will appreciate it that close to your house
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

I agree with the fisrt few minutes of startup. You can add poplar to the list of smokey woods to avoid. nearly 3 years after taking a truckload of free kiln dried scraps from cabinet shops, I am finally getting rid of the last of it...smokey and nasty smelling to me.

RT

Comment

Mine is just over 10 feet from my back door. It smokes out the front a bit at startup, but never enough to be a bother. Once it gets going, there is no smoke at all.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                I agree with the fisrt few minutes of startup. You can add poplar to the list of smokey woods to avoid. nearly 3 years after taking a truckload of free kiln dried scraps from cabinet shops, I am finally getting rid of the last of it...smokey and nasty smelling to me.

RT
                Poplar is the most evil horrible wood for any WFO - even with a roaring hot fire the moment a fresh, bone dry log of poplar is added horrible acrid black smoke is emitted. It's ok if cut very fine for kindling, but only for getting the fire started and only if a small amount is used. I too learnt this the hard way!!

Comment

Working...
                X