Outdoor kitchen finished!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor kitchen finished!

These are fairly standard, if pricy, high end bath accessories. Here's one in travertine that looks like what we are talking about:

stone sink

Of course it doesn't have that ancient look, but a few years outside should fix that.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Darn, I thought we were the first. It is a little pricey at $750 delivered.

I have been thinking about how you make things look older. Our kitchen cabinets are an "old" English design, and they are distressed with wear, worm holes, etc. Perhaps you could distress a marble (or travertine) sink. I get the impression that these are new world, not old.

Enjoy your weekend David. Is the snow melting?
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Outdoor sinks

Wow - that travertine sink looks fabulous! It reminds me of a marble sink at a Fattoria near Certaldo, Italy where I stayed some years back - it was about 5 feet long, but quite shallow, around 3-4" from memory. Funny how something as basic as a kitchen sink can evoke such strong feelings! So different from the norm, I guess.

The price doesn't seem too outrageous - I wanted a 12" diameter stainless steel sink for my outdoor kitchen (no room for a bigger, standard size one), and a company here wanted AUD $650 to make one on special order!

While there are some US companies making sinks of this size, none I could find was interested in shipping to Australia. One even did a quarter round sink which would have fitted perfectly in my (triangular) location, but it was USD $674! For a small stainless steel sink!

I ended up getting one from a British mail-order company, and get this - the stainless steel had been manufactured in Birmingham, sent to Italy to be pressed, back to England, then shipped to Australia - all for AUD $180! Weird.

So for something as beautiful as travertine, hewn from a rock face, shaped, polished and shipped from Tivoli to North America, I think the price is a snip, at least compared to some stainless steel models on offer!

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Sounds like you have/had the same issues I am now experiencing. I just finished my outdoor kitchen structuer and now that winter is near i will have shelter for the cconcrete work. I too am building counter tops but I am going to pour mine with colored concrete and also pour a stamped floor. Just outside the hut will be the oven. I have a ways to go but this one man show does take time. Currently I am at work stoppage due to using the kitchen with family and friends. A picture is posted for you viewing pleasure.

Gareth
          We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. In Wilderness is the preservation of the World. - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Gareth,

Nice spot, nice work. Perfect locale for a pizza oven.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Kitchen very nice I really like the way the walls wave...

Sink- you know a lot of guys are selling concrete sinks for much more than that. Its all the rage now along with concrete counter tops. You could achieve the "stone" look with concrete very easily. Like wise you could cast your own sink that could have the same veining as the travertine one in the picture.

Just some thoughts..

Photo Gallery - Sinks and Vessels - The Concrete Network
              Last edited by Unofornaio; 09-05-2007, 10:45 PM. Reason: link
              http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                Gareth,

Nice spot, nice work. Perfect locale for a pizza oven.

Jim
                Thank you Jim, that picture is taken from the back porch of the house. I look forward to finishing of the project.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, I meant to post in Work in progress http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...ress-1673.html
                Sorry for that.

Gareth
                We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. In Wilderness is the preservation of the World. - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

The drill design is ingenious. Simple elegant and convertable to gas grill. I'm planning a WFO/grill combination...may have to "borrow" the design.

Do you start a fire in the grill area and let it burn down to coals? Or do you shovel coals out of WFO?

Craig
                  ------------------------
                  "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cplain View Post
                    The drill design is ingenious. Simple elegant and convertable to gas grill. I'm planning a WFO/grill combination...may have to "borrow" the design.

Do you start a fire in the grill area and let it burn down to coals? Or do you shovel coals out of WFO?

Craig
                    Either.....and I would modify the design to have an ash shelf in the front. I've left the fire a couple of times and come back to ashes blowing around in the winds. I did put in an ash pit and just need to use that after the cooking phase.

Good luck,
                    Jim
                    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Working...
                    X