No announcement yet.

How to store utensils and pots outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to store utensils and pots outside?

I'm puzzling over whether/how to store things like pots, skillets, utensils, and ingredients outside and looking for ideas. I have several large items that only work outdoors, such as a 26" carbon steel wok, a 50 lb cast iron cauldron, a 24" french whip, etc. Ingredients such as canned goods, flour, sugar, salt would be nice to have on hand. It would be convinient to store them outside since that is where they'd be used.

I'm worried about rusting from ambient humidity, or possibly bug infestations and such. I see pictures of many of your outdoor kitchens, but I can't get a sense of whether you store utensils and ingredients outside. If so, I'd love to hear your advice on moisture/bug control.

Re: How to store utensils and pots outside?

Something like this would work
    MX3FG Lubricant "Food Grade" - Inox Lubricants
    For food I live in the subtropics and use http://stationery.auspost.com.au/med...-1345141_1.jpg
    from the op shop for 20 to 50 cents run it through the dishwasher.
    If you are worried about bugs,you need to either use Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or cryovac and freeze to kill eggs
    Last edited by TropicalCoasting; 06-05-2014, 12:14 AM.

Comment

G'day
      My ovens away from the house. So the only tools that get left are the rough tools.... The ash tin, the scoop and brush, the poker and ash rake . The rest have a home in the "shed" I might get slack and leave them overnight but I clean out the oven and the peels so there ready for next time.
      As for the Tuscan grill and the Dutch oven if you don't clean the food off them re-oil and store them away they will be next to useless. Its much like camping, get slack and you will not enjoy the holiday .
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
        G'day
        As for the Tuscan grill and the Dutch oven if you don't clean the food off them re-oil and store them away they will be next to useless.
        I totally agree! I re-coat my cast iron routinely and scrub my wok after each use. The storing part is the question. My "shed" does not have room for a 20 gallon cast iron pot. Is there any way to create safe outdoor storage for cast iron? Do most of you haul out your equipment with each oven firing? That is a lot of stuff: cutting boards, knives, prep bowls, ladles, serving utensils, forks, scrapers, hand towels, pizza peels, etc.

Comment

I am thinking of getting some containers from ziplock that have a gasket in the rim. I think that will keep bugs and most water out. I am thinking that they are going to fit in to my prep counter. But I am alps going to have build a cabinet in the garage to store the big tools.

Randy

Comment

Working...
          X