A pieceapizzapiepottery: Input Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pieceapizzapiepottery: Input Requested

(M) Hi, fellow builders. I made some ceramic pizza slices as tiles for the horizontal face of my slab. They are each hand painted with glazes. I'm thinking of marketing a few on eBay but have found nothing similar with which to establish an asking price, so I'm coming to this forum for your guesses of a fair starting price? $____

(M) I'd be grateful if you would NOT post a new thread title on top of this one for a few days so this post won't get buried before I get your input.

(M) Here are 2 images. The chunk of cheese and the egg salad are edible, but be careful with your teeth on the pizza!

================================================== ====

(M) To justify this posting under "Outdoor Kitchen Design" I'll include the following URL to show that under construction:

marceld/OutdoorKitchenEtc - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(M) Thanks for your guestimate of an asking price per pizza tile: $____

P.S. It would not be helpful if you flatter me by posting a greater price than you honestly feel each is worth.

Ciao,

Marcel
    Last edited by Marcel; 05-11-2007, 07:37 AM. Reason: Incorrect font
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Re: A pieceapizzapiepottery: Input Requested

Simple engineering function based on a per item:
    Cost of raw material X 2.5 plus
    Labour hours spent X 7.8 X 2 plus
    outsourced function (i.e. kilns) X 1

Note on Labour Hours - this needs to be the hours actually spend throwing/ shaping and painting assuming a normalized production run. I.E. your time spent finding the material, storing the material, buying new equipment such as brushes, scrapers, buckets... is not included.

Comment

Marcel - AWESOME work!!! Instead of just listing on EBay, you should work out a deal with James and post them on the FB site. I'm in the dark when it comes to the price of quality crafty things. I'd just name your price and see what happens. Let us know where this goes - it will be great to say "yea, we knew Marcel when he was just an oven builder".

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Re: A pieceapizzapiepottery: Quantifiable Input Requested

(L) .... "he was just an oven builder".

(M) Thar ain't no sech thang! We all be craftspepol!

(Patrick) "Simple engineering function based on a per item:"

(M) Thanks to both for your input but Patrick, my sign-off is "Everything should be made as simple as possible but no simpler". Your formula works for an assembly line but it is, in my view, "simpler than possible" since the Craft input, and the "inspiration" are not quantifiable. How much would you pay for a tile that would break your teeth?

(M) Also, thanks to both for keeping the thread name the same. I hope to get at least 6 responses which I'll average if Jengineer can remember the formula ;-)

Ciao,
        Marcel

P.S., Patrick, did James respond on the winner of the 10,000th posting? I've heard nothing yet.

Comment

What would I be willing to pay - First of all my mom says I am so stingy that I can walk with a quarter between my butt checks but I am too cheap to see if it is true.

Personally I would spend maybe $20 for a single slice and $35 for 2. Saving the $5 for shipping.

I think what you can get is based on the market profile. The more upsclae place the more $$. Les's input is good put it up for what you think it is worth and see what the outcome is.

Off topic but you brought it up - yes James has suggested something different than dough bu I am essentailly of the opinion that it should go to someone else as I was just playing th post it game, not as well as you did, for the fun of it. I prefer to pass it on - who else posted very near that time? Maybe they would be appreciative of the proper flour. My game is not yet in the same league as I am a virtual builder.

Comment

I heartily second the voices on how original and artistic these are. Hand thrown, painted and fired -- yet, there is a hint of wood flavor in the cheese. Remarkable. How did you do that?

Didn't someone say that art was worth what someone would pay for it. Van Gough died broke having never sold a painting, and now his work is worth millions. Marcel, maybe you can leave me your ceramics in your will. :-)

If you would like to talk about putting them in the FB Store (we don't have a section called Pizza Oven Art....yet), send me an email (james@fornobravo.com).

Well done Marcel.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: A pieceapizzapiepottery: Input Requested & Rec'd.

(M) Thank you James for your effusive praise. I only have about 6 slices of pizzapiepottery at present and they're going to be set aside for my own oven.

(M) If I hear of significant interest then I'm considering putting them on eBay, but if I had enough, then I'd be glad to put them on FornoBravo and split the profit with you James.

(M) I need to find a low temperature green glaze. My olives turned out looking more like avocado beans; pale and washed out. This was my first attempt and I didn't know that the fired result of a glaze can be SO different from what it looks like in a container. I have 2 friends with both experience and kilns. I'd like to make more but I need to finish my so called outdoor kitchen first.

(M) Thanks Patrick for your guesstimate of between $17.50 and $20.00. Yours is the first quantitative reply I've received.

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

My vote was that you both won the 10,000th posting pool and that Patrick has to learn to make great pizza stone pizza in the meanwhile. Both of you, send an email message to Tammy.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Marcel - I've got a little more input for you. I talked to the professional money spenders in my family (wife and daughter). My daughter thinks you could get $40.00 a slice at a trendy craft fair. My wife puts them around $20.00 (I taught her well - my daughter is still on the daddy college plan so the real value of a dollar hasn't sunk in yet). With that said, I think Patrick has hit a reasonable target - I would definitely buy a few at that price.

Hope this helps.

Les...
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

(M) Thanks, again, Les.

(M) That makes 3 inputs, so far.

Ciao,

Marcel

Comment

Who is "Tammy" ?

Originally posted by james View Post
                      My vote was that you both won the 10,000th posting pool and that Patrick has to learn to make great pizza stone pizza in the meanwhile. Both of you, send an email message to Tammy.
                      James
                      (M) Is Tammy your wife?___ daughter? ___

(M) What's her member name?
                      ============================

(M) Now go back to page 1 to see and guesstimate the cost of the ceramic pizza slices.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...sted-1971.html

Ciao,

Marcel
                      Last edited by Marcel; 05-12-2007, 03:20 PM. Reason: Added Info.

Comment

I showed these to my wife, she came up with $20 on her own, although we both wondered if you had plans for made to order (we don't have a recipe with olives in our house). I think a margherita would do well with the group on the forum (FB store), but pepperoni would be more marketable on Ebay.

Comment

Marcel,

Tammy oversees all of our residential sales, the showroom and the warehouse guys, and she's a great resource. Krista helps her with administration and does all the support for accessory sales, shipping, order tracking, etc.

They are tammy@fornobravo.com and krista@fornobravo.com.

Time to start baking.
                          James
                          Last edited by james; 05-12-2007, 03:38 AM.
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by maver View Post
                            I showed these to my wife, she came up with $20 on her own, although we both wondered if you had plans for made to order (we don't have a recipe with olives in our house). I think a margherita would do well with the group on the forum (FB store), but pepperoni would be more marketable on Ebay.
                            (M) Thanks, Maver for your wife's input of $20. I have no plans for "made to order". Since the tiles are a visual experience, I put on "everything" including anchovy, which I don't add to the pizza I eat.

(M) My preference for eating pizza is only tomato, garlic, fresh Mozarella and perhaps some basil.

Buen Provecho,

(M) Click below to see the pizzapottery

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...sted-1971.html

Marcel
                            Last edited by Marcel; 05-12-2007, 03:19 PM. Reason: Needs URL

Comment

Nice work Marcel, put me down for a couple!
                              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                              X