Australian Outdoor Kitchen Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Outdoor Kitchen Designs

Hey everyone. Having recently purchased my first home, I have decided to construct my dream outdoor kitchen from scratch. Unfortunately outdoor kitchens havent really taken off in my part of OZ and therefore I have limited resources available to guide my design and installation. I know exactly what I want but I would like to hear of anyone elses experiences building their own and anything I should be wary of. Any step by step pics would be really useful (i wont steal your design i swear!!)

I am considering using 4x2 to construct the frame, covering in marine grade ply and then attaching backerboard. I will be installing stainless cupboards and drawers and finishing the front and sides in slate tiles. The counter top will be polished granite. I want to install a bar fridge, sink, 6 burner BBQ and side burner.

Any help from Aussies out there on where to purchase such things as cupboards, drawers and sinks would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Australian Outdoor Kitchen Designs

Hi AussieSimon and welcome
    the outdoor kitchen sounds a great idea.
    When you thumb through some of the junk mail nowadays there are more things around outdoor enertaining - maybe in the likes of BBQ's Galore catalogues. Maybe put together a sketch of your ideas and people here can help you fill in the blanks........I guess a wood oven is somewhere in your plans???

what part of Oz are you from?
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi AussieSimon,
      Here's a pic of my outdoor 'kitchen and living room' taken today. (11/07/07)
      I think today will be the last day I can use mortar untill the spring because of frost here in the Boston (US) area ! The base of the oven and the fireplace will be covered in real stone veneer. In between the two I'm building cabinets with bluestone countertops! If you see any ideas you like, 'steal away', it's all about sharing ideas here!
      Good luck,
      Rick
      View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for the tips.

Damon I'm from Wollongong in NSW - 'bout an hour south of Sydney on the coast. I have planned an oven as well but am toying with the idea of moving it further down the yard away from the house. Still undecided as to whether to build it into the kitchen bench.

I guess the questions I have are more in the area of not what i need but more how I do things. For example, I found a handy instructional video on: How to Build an Outdoor Kitchen - which gave me a good understanding of how to build the frame, but it left alot unanswered.

I'm looking at irregular slate tiles to finish the front and sides but no nothing about tiling a vertical surface. Do I screw backerboard (which I believe is the American equivalent to compressed cement board we have in oz) to the ply surface and tile on top of that?

Also, am I on the right track with the idea of a timber frame? I have heard of some people using steel due to its durability etc.

Thanks for posting the pics Rick. I cant seem to view them for some reason (newbie). I have attached a couple of pics I have found that I like.

Comment

Seems that I can now view attachments after replying to the post...

Rick your setup looks awesome. I particularly like the stone veneer - it ties in well with the rest of the area.

Simon

Comment

I'm almost done with mine and I'll post finished pics next week after I get my granite top installed Monday or Tuesday.

You can get great ideas and construction instructions from bbqgalore.com.

Good luck,
            Dan

Comment

Hey Dan,

Can you tell me what you did about cupboards and drawers? Where did you get them from etc?

Simon

Comment

Please do not hesitate to go to Barbeque Galore online where they have an incredible forum of experts that are just as dedicated to advice and quality as you see on the Forno Bravo forum for Oven building here. If you want to have both a quality pizza oven and outdoor kitchen, get to know both of these forums, and get very active in both. Your questions, answers, friendships, and love for foods will increase. Again, get involved with both forums, step by step with details so that you do not regret anything, especially with this being the dream kitchen.
                An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Hi Simon......make sure your oven is close to the house or the entertaining area.....its adds to the experience and puts you right among your guests......

well thats how I did mine and its worked out well......
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                  X