Gas grill for your outdoor kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas grill for your outdoor kitchen

Just thought I would share today's experience about one of the "premium" gas grill manufacturers - LYNX

As part of my outdoor kitchen and entertainment area (pool, spa, furniture, cabinets/counters, fridge, grill...) 4 years ago, I opted to go with a Lynx Professional Series LP grill. Cost - $3500, which to me is a HUGE amount of money for a grill. After considerable research I chose Lynx because of their warranty. Trust me, its not worth the paper it is printed on .

I was tired of replacing burners or grates on the $300-$400 grills I had purchased from the box retailers. Seemed to nickle and dime me to death, only getting an average of 2 years out of the burners and grates - about $60-$80 every 2 years to replace them. So I jumped in with the $3500 Lynx thinking the warranty would save me....IF something were to need replaced.

Long story short - I just got off the phone with Lynx, both of my highly touted cast brass burners are shot. Although covered under their "lifetime warranty", I must pay shipping and a "handling" charge.
    Both air shutters on these burners are bad as well, also covered - MORE shipping and handling; and finally my warmer rack has rotted away, YES, it is under warranty too and YES, more shipping and handling.
    The totals for all :Shipping will be $27, handling charges are an astonishing $90. What the hell?????
    Trying to avoid both the shipping and the handling, I asked if one of the local Lynx dealers could handle these warranty items - NO, they can sell them to you at retail prices, only we (Lynx) can process warranty claims, in which case you must pay the shipping and handling.
    I'd also like to add that I've replaced the electronic ignition switch 3 times in 4 yrs (and isn't working again...to hell with it, a match works fine). The briquettes need replaced every year at $24 a pop. Other than that, the grill performance has been wonderful. Really though, what the hell did I get for the $3000 premium I payed for this grill??? The $400 Home Depot special performed just as well, had a crap warranty, and cost LESS to maintain.

My neighbors were right, I was nuts to spend that kind of money. I urge everyone thinking of buying a premium grill based on the supposed warranty to look a bit deeper into that warranty...you may still get nickle and dimed to death on upkeep.
    Sorry for the vent, really pissed at the moment.

RT

Re: Gas grill for your outdoor kitchen

Sorry for you problems...

but take heart.

I don't imagine anyone around is going to buy one.

You cost em! Maybe more than they cost you.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Yep - 20 years ago I bought a $100 cast iron grill with the usual less than average innards. Unlike some folks I tend to fire the jets year round. I go through about 4 propane tanks a year although I am slowly transitioning back to charcoal. About every 3 years I would replace the burners, the grate, and the briquetts - although now with the manufacured ones they are lasting a lot longer. After 15 years of being in the elements of South California I developed a leak in the hose from the regulator to the jets. Wife commented on the pretty blue flame coming out the bottom of the BBQ! I fianlly had to pitch it when the cast iron box craked on each of the supports to the stand. Cheap is the way to go jsut make sure you get one with massive BTU's and life is good. Sorry to her about the toilet paper warranty.

Comment

RT,

You got me worried now. I bought a Jenn-Air because it has a "lifetime warranty" on most of the components. I'll probably get the same treatment. I paid a third of what you did, so it's a little more tolerable.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I love natural flavors with my foods, not the gas flavor. I used to use the gas burner type but the foods never taisted up to their potential. I went to charcoal grill and the flavors were unparaleled. I will be buying the Barbeque Galore "Bar-B-Chef stainless built in" once my oven and island are built. For now, I use the weber and my smoker.
          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems with the LYNX. It's good information to share so that others will think twice about that model.

Anyone else have recommendations for high end BBQs? I was thinking of doing one with an infrared burner to get higher temps.

I'm leary of spending a couple of thousand bucks on a BBQ that might fail in no time. I do a ton of grilling, at least 3 or four days a week, so I want something that will last.

Thanks
            George
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
              <snip>
              Anyone else have recommendations for high end BBQs? I was thinking of doing one with an infrared burner to get higher temps.<snip>
              I am not sure if they have IR but I am a fan of the units made by Outdoor Kitchen Concepts.

J W

Comment

I have a Viking that has the infrared burner, it rocks, gets to about 800 degrees.

Comment

Hey RT,
                  Sorry to hear you were another casualty of the 'shipping and handling' gaff. You know that $90.00 'handling fee' pays the company (by you) for the 'free' part. Quite frankly, I've never heard of Lynx grills, but I hope the company goes out of business for 'stealing' from yet another honest but unsuspecting customer. That 'fine print' will get you every time ! I'll get down off of my soap box now, but remember, there isn't ONE large corporation out there that cares ONE little bit about you, the customer. The Only thing they care about is prying the money out of your wallet, AND they have the nerve to smile at you while they do it! The policies of these corporations are just another form of legalized thievery! OK, I'll shut up now!
                  View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Thanks,

Please, by all means, continue my rant. Its helping to keep my stress and blood pressure down

Comment

I've got to agree with oventhusiast. The corporations are pretty deceitful with their promises. Probably working with a local dealer who can offer a good extended warrantee and service the unit if it fails is the way to go, though you end up paying more up front. I guess they get you one way or another.

Richie, my wife would kill me if I bought a Viking BBQ before buying the oven/cooktop for the indoor kitchen. They aren't rated that well by consumer reports either (but they sure are pretty).
                      George
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

There are ways of waking up Corporate America. The issue is that 95&#37; of consumers accept the initial guidelines of the business rather than going to the manager, district manager, regional manager, etc. There is that level where the one manager that can make the difference, will do so. The thing is that that particular manager would rather not have to have their boss flush the crap on them "crap runs down stream". See, if a person willingly speaks up strong enough and assertive enough, while rational and making sense, they will get what they want, legally. Trust me, I have done so countless times. I do not like seeing family and friends bullied by business, and many companies get my loyalty because of it, more word of mouth, and sometimes further respect is built.
                        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Well said!
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

I'm sorry about your troubles RT but thanks for posting.

I feel I have to buy a gasser to compliment my outdoor kitchen. I want to go gas free but my wife is insisting on it. If it were up to just me I would have my Weber Kettle, Bandera smoker and BGE (Big Green Egg). Oh, and a pizza oven!

What about brass burners? Are they better than cast iron?
                            Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Mark,

Cast brass seem better than cast iron. Had cast iron on my old grill - lasted about 2 yrs. The cast brass on my Lynx lasted 4 yrs. Keep in mind, I'm in FL and I grill year round, at least 2-3 times a week.

Propane corrodes every type of metal I know, even stainless, so don't be fooled by grills offering a lifetime warranty on stainless "tube type" burners either.
                              From my latest research, cast stainless burners should hold up the best. I think they are only found on the really premium brands.

I would seriously recommend buying a reasonably priced unit that has readily available, and reasonably priced parts.....if you grill alot, grates and burners are going to need replaced, regardless of the material or manufacturer.

RT

Comment

Working...
                              X