Time to finish the oven; add fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to finish the oven; add fireplace

It will end up 3 1/2" higher, with the hearth poured on top of the block stand. This part is feeling a lot like the oven installation. I think it will be high enough for wood/charcoal grilling. I think we are going to pass on the gas grill. It's all wood for me.

We have decided to use the angle iron stand, with the blocks turned in at the front. It's a different look from the oven, and hopefully the contrast will look good. We're going to stack and pour today or tomorrow.

James
    Last edited by james; 02-17-2008, 11:14 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I thought my grill hearth was definately lower than the oven since you work over a grill and work into the oven. I just checked and my grill base was about 9 inches lower than the oven hearth. But I have a gas grill that I use in that space that brings the grill up to the same level as my WFO hearth.

(Brings up a hearth height question that I'll post separately)

...is higher better than too low?

it's hard to lower it later...but you can always wear high heeled shoes
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

We've decided to make the outdoor kitchen cabinets out of block, and finalized a few items. There will be a backsplash, a toe kick, solid concrete under the counters, and we are using slate tile for the counter tops. The slate matches the porch behind the kitchen. The counters will be 36" high and 24" deep, just like an in-door kitchen. The backsplash will probably be 8"x8". Enough to stop me from shooting food off the back end.

We did not have a toe kick at our Healdsburg house, and I always thought you could feel it when you were making lots of pizza.

Here is the back wall that connects the oven and fireplace. More to come.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Cool! It should turn out really nice, though I'm lost on the toe kick. I hate it when I kick my toes!
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

OK. Why is it called a toe kick?
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Here's where we finished the day. We formed and poured the toe kick, set the walls, framed an opening for a shelf, and formed the countertop. I am leaning toward a curved counter that falls into the front of the oven -- to match the curved landing in front of the oven.

Tomorrow we should pour the counter, set the Artigiano vent and start framing the walls. We'll see.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

The crew works fast, huh? Somehow, my penny-pinching fingers won't let me spend bucks to pay others for what I can do myself. Its temping sometimes, especially after watching your guys fly through the work. Anyway, its fun watching it come together. Thanks for the pics reavealing the life of the "boss".
                GJBingham

-

Comment

Awwwwww. I cut the blocks and the forms, mixed the concrete, set blocks, and tied the wire. You should see my laundry. :-)

Still, it's true that as an aging guy, having help can be a good thing. I'm reaching that age where it's more difficult to do everything alone. In my relative youth, I used to do it all by myself (and I did this oven solo) -- but there comes a time...

On a more serious note, there are many ways to build an oven or an outdoor kitchen, and picking your style is half the fun.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

You're not telling me that's your backside in the pic? Cute butt!
                    GJBingham

-

Comment

No, I'm using the camera. :-) But I think my Avatar looks pretty good.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                        <snip> I am leaning toward a curved counter that falls into the front of the oven -- to match the curved landing in front of the oven. <snip> James
                        The one thing that I forgot to do when building my outdoor kitchen is this - complete the counter before you put the final coat of stucco [or whatever] on the dome. This way you can bring the finish coat down on top of the counter and avoid a lot of complicated cuts in your slate.

It is not as important when building a house style enclosure - as it has straighter angles.

Looking good ...

J W

Comment

Thanks JW. you just answered a quesiton for me.

looks like concrete counter tops are on tap before my final stucco coat.

BTW - I have plywood with black plastic stapled on it as winter countertops.

christo
                          My oven progress -
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey Chris,

There are a lot of way to build outdoor cabinets and counters, but our block and concrete slab construction wasn't too difficult. Heavy yes, but the materials are not very expensive and it went up quickly.

I also like the idea that it is solid and will never warp or change sitting out in the rain.

James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                              OK. Why is it called a toe kick?
                              James
                              you kick it when you're frustrated?
                              Last edited by carioca; 02-21-2008, 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling
                              "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Slowly, but surely we are making progress. We poured the counters, set the fireplace walls and the oven vent, and set the backsplash. I am starting to be able to visualize actually making pizza here!

On downside, I think the little counter to the right of the oven is too short, and we may need to extend it.

We'll get there,
                                James
                                Pizza Ovens
                                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                                X