Time to finish the oven; add fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to finish the oven; add fireplace

Finally, we are ready to get going to finish our outdoor kitchen. The masonry and tile work inside the house is almost dome and spring is coming, so we are ready.

We are adding counters, shelves, a grill and an FB Calore fireplace to our existing oven. We're using concrete blocks for the kitchen counters, and a mix of stone and stucco (I think) to finish the enclosures.

I still haven't decided on gas vs. wood for the grill. One option is to raise the height of the fireplace to where you can do wood cooking, and add a gas grill for convenience.

Any ideas there?

I will take photos as we move forward. We're very excited here.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Time to finish the oven; add fireplace

I kind of like that idea of raising the fireplace to make a churrasco BBQ. You could have removable BBQ hardware when you just want to use it as a fireplace.

I'm still thinking of installing an infrared BBQ, or at least one with a portion of the BBQ dedicated to searing meats/veggies at high heat. It would be especially useful for those days when you don't have time to fire the oven.

Looking forward to pics.

BTW, I purchased a couple of the casserole dishes from the FB store. Do you recommend prewarming them in the entryway to the oven before giving them a thermal shock from hell at full temp?

Thanks
    George
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hi James...............a fireplace to grill on is a great idea. The first photograph is of the bar at my friends place that we use to barbeque in winter. The fireplace is used to cook all manner of meals (in conjunction with his WFO). The second photo I have put up to show an interesting arrangement for his barbeque outside the same building. It shares the chimney with the fireplace.

Comment

Hello Inishta,

like the bar fireplace! Reminds me of the one at the Poisson d'Or at a small airport near Paris, where we grilled gigot a la ficelle on a revolving spit in the fireplace...

Great stuff - do you do that, too?

Cheers,

LMH
        "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Hi carioca, we don't have a rotisserie/spit set-up for the fireplace. We do leg of lamb in the WFO and this year I intend to try roasting a full lamb in mine.

Comment

Good input. Thanks. I am thinking of doing the arched brick opening into the fireplace. It will match the pizza oven that way.

I've started laying out sample designs using CMUs. That's the easiest way for me to work -- I like seeing this in the physical world. We've met builders and designers on this project who can "see" a complete design in their head, or in a layout program; not me.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

O master of the ovens, where are the pictures?
              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Hey Jim,
                How is the weather is beautiful Xabia? It's sunny and should reach the 60's here, which isn't too bad for Feb. I always remember the winter sun on the Costa Blanca.

My pile of CMU's isn't worthy of a photo yet, but we'll get there some time this week.

Here is how far we've reach with the oven.

More to come!
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, that looks close enough to cook something.

Well back home it's cold and piling up with snow....makes me shiver to think about it...sorry Ed! My daughter (teacher with the new twins) has already had a number of snow days.

It's an amazing contrast here, usually in the 60's with some sun most days. It's hot in the sun and cold without it. Particularly when you live in a concrete house. But with the flowers and almond trees in bloom, it makes you wonder why people live in the north snow country.

Jim
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Nice oven James. Looks like you knew what you were doing

Congrats on reaching the 2700 posts level. I think you get a T-shirt for that!
                    GJBingham

-

Comment

Here's a question. If we go up three course of block (24") for the hearth of the fireplace, would you make the base solid, or would you frame in a small opening for wood storage. It would be a lot shorter than the oven wood store. Would it look good? Be functional?

What do you think?
                      James

George, I've been thinking of starting to print FB T-Shirts. The little guy with the wood oven in our logo is pretty cool. :-)
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
                        Funny, I was thinking of mentioning the same thing by PM. Why advertise Caputo flour with your T-shirt giveaways? I'd rather have a FB T-shirt when I earn it. Or put them up for sale in the store. The little guy on the logo is definitely cool. I love all the pics on your homepage. Somehow I envisioned the shirt like that. I'm certainly not going to tell you how to run your shop. I'm pretty sure it will be cool.

Re: the opening under your oven, I think it would look great filled to the gills with a nice selection of wood that you never use. I think it would add to the charm, even if its not very functional. You could always swap out wood as necessary when it starts looking funky. Kind of a framed picture.
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Here is a trial layout for the fireplace. This option is three blocks high, and the top course set on angle iron, and the hearth poured on that.

Is it high enough?

The pizza oven stand does not use the angle iron course, and does it look strange with the two stands not matching? Maybe I should use the same design for both.

The plan is to leave an 8" hearth in front and on the sides of the fireplace.

Comments? Ideas? Help!

James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

The fireplace height is fine like that IMHO. High enough to cook on comfortably and great for radiated heat for the gathered throng. I dont think that it will matter what the design difference is at this stage. When it comes to the finish you can tie them both in. The juxtaposition of high heat from the oven and lower from the fire will be great when it comes to an evening cook-out.

Comment

If it were me, I'd still raise the whole shootin' match a few inches on a slab or 1 inch or so concrete blocks (or whatever width they really are). I think "framing" the oven and firewood openings with hand painted Italian tile would be really awesome. Otherwise, I think it's going to be a great setup.
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                              X