Outdoor sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor sink

We have been approached my a manufacturer to see if we are interested in an outdoor granite farmhouse sink. It looks very nice, and we are thinking of selling it through the FB Store. Still, I wanted to check with the group to get a sanity check. What do you think?

We talked about these before, and they seem to cost $1,000+. We could sell this one for less than half that.

What do you think? Are you interested? Do you think there is a market for these in outdoor kitchen design?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Outdoor sink

When we built our outdoor living space with WFO, BBQ, Freige we opted not to go with a sink due to cost of putting in water line and connecting to sewer. Sink would have been the least of the cost. Digging up and replacing hard scape etc was the tru expense. If we had built from sratch, i.e no exisitng backyard installed may have put in a sink and also one of the draw type dishwashers, but after 2+ years have not really missed not having a sink.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
      we opted not to go with a sink due to cost of putting in water line and connecting to sewer. Sink would have been the least of the cost. Digging up and replacing hard scape etc was the tru expense.
      I would imagine this is the main reason people don't install outdoor sinks.

Although most of us would probably like to have one.
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I wish I had a sink outside. Fire tending tends to leave your hands dirty, and then you start handling dough which ends up a suspicious grey color.

An outdoor sink in this neck of the woods needs to be disconnected and drained four months a year, making it sort of a nuisance. Last year I had an outdoor hose line, which I had turned off, and thought I had drained, freeze and split the copper line. The good news is that a backyard sink for occasional use can drain to a french drain, avoiding a sewer line hook-up.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          ... The good news is that a backyard sink for occasional use can drain to a french drain, avoiding a sewer line hook-up.
          Agreed. You can build a vertical french drain, with drain pipe and rocks, or hook into one is you already have.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Although a sink could be handy and useful I opted not to install one 5 yrs ago when I did my outdoor "kitchen" (counters, fridge, grill) due to the costs and troubles mentioned by Richard. The French drain was an option but tapping into a water line left me with cutting 40' of concrete pool decking or trenching about 60' of my yard. I just didn't have it in me to do either (and I'm a cheapskate who doesn't pay anyone to do something I am capable of), some days I really wish I had (usually when firing the oven like dmun mentions), but most days I don't.

RT

Comment

RT, we sound like long lost brothers.

I'm (slowly) building an outdoor kitchen. I may install a sink, but probably won't plumb it because I don't think I'll use it. I'd only do it for potential ease of sale of the house down the road. I don't think I'd spend more than a couple hundred bucks on a sink. It's kind of like an outdoor refridgerator. Sounds nice, but eats energy, doesn't get used, and kids mess with it.

BTW James, gorgeous sink though. There might be a wider market for it. We builders are cheapskates to begin with. That's why we didn't buy the prebuilt ovens, awsome as they are.
              Last edited by gjbingham; 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I've got to agree with RT and George about us builders mostly being cheapskates.
                I too am building a outdoor kitchen area, but went ahead and opted to stick a sink in... a very deep stainless one that came from a neighbor's remodel at zero cost, so I can't weigh in one that would run several hundred.
                Since its a little bit of a hike out to the area, a sink comes in useful...Right now i just have cold water run to it, but by the end of this year, I hope to connect it up to a solar collector i'm installing out there. Early construction picture of the sink counter attached.

Even if a sink doesn't get used much as a sink, its great to fill up with ice to keep drinks cold in. Of course I went one better on the drink cooling idea... behind the sink I built my 'beer trough' ... this'll hold 72 longnecks in ice. A couple of corked holes let the water drain to the sink as the ice melts.

But back to your granite sink... I'm sure there are several that would opt for the more refined look and that is a good looking sink. If ya'll can get in the $500-600 price range, there probably is a market.
                Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

I will say this, that granite sink is beautiful and if I were starting from scratch and didn't have to dodge sprinkler lines or cut up my deck, I probably would have put in a sink - but to be honest a much cheaper one...the granite sink would be one of those "if I win the lottery" purchases.

Now the outdoor fridge has been very handy its exacty 10' from my pool (code compliance), was dirt cheap ($79), and has kept a few "cold ones" within easy reach, whether using the pool, doing yard work, grilling, and now pizza baking. I was skeptical at buying such a cheap appliance, so far (5 yrs) its worked flawlessly at keeping things cold even during the nasty, steamy summer months.

RT

Comment

Yes the sink is very beautiful. But no, I wouldn't install one.

And if I did, I'd probably want to make it myself, out of cast polished concrete maybe...?

Maybe the forum is the wrong place to ask. How many customers do you have who ask you to build an oven from scratch in their gardens? They'd be your most likely customers for this, wouldn't they?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

We just ran cold water to our sink from the garden water line nearby.

I don't think you'll use a lot of water and suggest a simple drain nearby would be fine.....maybe a length of sewer pipe in sand? It's only some greywater which should be recycled anyway.

XJ
                      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I'm going to stick in my two cents and say that a sink is invaluable. We put in an old single bowl cast iron coated sink that extends up in the back about 14 inches where the faucet is mounted. I will say though that it is located at the edge of the patio by the house. I bored thru the foundation and have both hot and cold water. But after working in the yard and garden it provides a place to wash. When harvesting vegetables they get rinsed outside first. Dishes are rinsed when cooking outdoors. And when the oven is built it will be within 5 feet of the oven providing additional counter space.

Comment

I'm glad that I had the foresight to run a water line out to my project site. I think a sink would be invaluable while tending fires and handling raw meat. I notice how many times I use the sink indoors to wash my hands while cooking. Not to mention the ability to clean up dishes and cutting boards on site.

When I'm outside I want to stay outside. I dont want to keep running back & forth to the house.

The granite sink looks beautiful, James. I wouldnt want to pay the freight bill, though. When will you have an east coast facility??!!
                          Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

I think a sink is a must. We purchase a handmade copper sink in Mexico last year just for this project. Just to wash your hands, which I seem to do a lot and keep the counters wiped down. You can get a instant heater for the water which has no tank if you wish.

Comment

I have to agree with a sink being an almost requirement. I wouldn't spend a bundle doing it however. I am very quick to wash my hands frequently while handling food. Lucky for me the site I have chosen will be easily accessible for water and sewer. But for those who do not have access to a water supply easily. A garden hose can be easily connected and removed when not in use. A 5 gallon bucket will handle most of the water usage and for the rough times when a lot of water is used a marine sump pump with a remote level float works great in the bucket. A plastic 55 gallon drum will hold a massive amount and can be easily moved to safe area and dumped with the aid of a hand dolly. "or" You can just pop the end of the garden hose in the drum and turn the water on and when the bubbles stop turn off faucet and disconnect hose and allow it to siphon to a safe area. Btw the grey water from a sink is good for flower gardens just dont use any harsh chemicals in the sink. Also you can get small demand water heaters for a decent price. They are a simple inline connection and usually operate on normal current available on most sites.
                              Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                              like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Working...
                              X