Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's all folks....do you ever get finished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's all folks....do you ever get finished?

A quick update on my summer kitchen...Well I added a door to the wood storage area, put a tap in the sink and a swinging door on the bathroom in the kitchen

I'm done for this year but already planning a spanish tile roof for the bathroom that will extend over the open hearth for my next project....and I'll need to pick a small chimney completion.

XJ
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: That's all folks....do you ever get finished?

Very, very nice Jim. I like the hatchet.

Does your oven stick out on the other side of the wall, or did you fit it all inside. I think that is one of the interesting design trade-offs for outdoor corner installations. The oven tends to be deeper than the counters -- so, do you push the oven forward (as I did), or slide it back to line up with the counters (but you need space back there it slide it).

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, the oven fit inside the walls.

The granite was custom made to fit the space available using a cardboard template.

But you're right, if I was doing a new construction, it would work very well to "push" the oven back into the wall. Space was not too much of an issue.

XJ

(George, you made a comment about not liking your corner installation....I don't remember your reasoning...did you respond?)
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Beautiful kitchen XJim...............

May you enjoy many fiestas!

Comment

Corner installation.... did I complain? OK, I guess I did. The plans for the Pompeii don't cover a corner installation, except for the case of a pre-fab oven, which requires less space. You're kind of stuck making it up as you go.

As I was firing the oven today, I looked with distain at the opening under the oven where firewood is stored. A better use of space would be to use a side storage areas vs. an opening just in the front - probably 30 inches wide and spreading to 64 inches (side to side on the base) and 90ish inches corner to corner on each side of the oven. A great waste of space unless you like getting on your hands an knees to retrieve firewood from the corners. I know, bitch and moan. Waaa waaa waaa Hey! I've got a WFO! A good lesson for other builders though.

I'd love to have a bit more space on the slab I poured inside the existing footing. I could have poured another footing and slid the oven backward as James suggests, but when I poured that concrete slab, I didn't really believe that I was going to really build the oven. It was just one of those..."well, if I'm going to build an oven someday, I'll need a slab to build it on" moments. A month later, I was off and running. Piss poor planning as we used to say in the Navy. I still resemble that remark today.

Nice outdoor kitchen XJ. Why the door on the bathroom? Shy?
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

For my corner install - I went with a 5 sided stand. 90 degrees at the back. wood opening at the front and another at the back side.

Early pic of the front:

Early pic of the side door:

This arrangmement is working pretty well for me as I have access to the back - Jim would have to go through a hole in his wall...

I also think the 5 sides keeps the oven base smaller and fools the eye to make it look even smaller....
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

Are the central wall of blocks for additional support or just to divide up your storage area ?

Bruce
              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Those are both nice ideas Christo.
                Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

I agree. A very nice way to go. I was way past these pics in my build when Christo showed me how he did his.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

The center wall wasn't required for support but since it was there we used it as support for the hardibacker we used instead of plywood to support the hearth concrete as it cured. Used a single 2x4 under a short piece of 1x6 to support the small area of hardibacker while the hearth cured.

Coated the inner wall and outer walls with fiber reinforced block/stucco type coating afterwards.
                    My oven progress -
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X