Espresso machine for the outdoor kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espresso machine for the outdoor kitchen

Not sure whether this is the right place , but, well it's here now!
    I am still waiting for the slack engineer to provide the calculations of the proposed patio roof construction to the demanding council prior to construction.
    Been looking at granite slabs for the benchtops but think I will settle for the Italian porcelain tiles that I already have in readiness.
    I plan on putting in the kitchen a Group 1 espresso machine, (what else will give you the best of coffees at home), which can be easily transported into the house when not required outdoors.
    We have a friend who has a commercial machine and has bought a Giotto Premium and these make superb coffees, but I feel that the German made equivalent ECM is the better of the machines to buy.
    As the end of the financial year is approaching, I plan on spending most of my tax return (yep, I get to spend this on myself rather than pay for children's weddings), and need to make the final decission.
    Has anyone got a better suggestion.
    I know that I also need the best and freshest of beans, the ideal grind and to master the science of espresso making, yeh, a bit like mastering pizza making and baking in a wood fired oven!
    Open for comments and opinions.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Re: Espresso machine for the outdoor kitchen

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    Has anyone got a better suggestion.

Tea.

Fresh boiled water, whole tealeaves, warm the pot, allow to brew for a couple of minutes and serve with a spot of milk. Lapsang Suchong for preference.

Sorry, couldn't resist...
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Try sweetmarias.com for thier recommendations on espress coffee machines. That's where I buy my green coffee beans from.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I've had good luck with wholelattelove.com for espresso machines and beans. Usually with free shipping.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
          Tea.

Fresh boiled water, whole tealeaves, warm the pot, allow to brew for a couple of minutes and serve with a spot of milk. Lapsang Suchong for preference.

Sorry, couldn't resist...
          Lapsang is one of my favorites as well! Not too many people are familiar with it, but it has always been a favorite of my dad's too. Not easy to find here in leaf form, though, just bags. I don't like bags much.
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
            Lapsang is one of my favorites as well! Not too many people are familiar with it.
            I think a lot of people tried it after reading Centenial by James Michner. One of the trappers had Lapsang has a vice. I tried it but it was a little too salty and tar tasting for my taste. Then again, I sure I was trying the cheap version.

My tea preference is Morning Thunder. Just waving the teabag over the cup leaches enough caffiene into the water to keep the eyes open.

Coffee......who needs it

Bruce
            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Originally posted by brokencookie View Post

Coffee......who needs it

ME!!! Our espresso machine is the most used appliance in the household, hands down.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

ME!!! Our espresso machine is the most used appliance in the household, hands down.

Well said Mfiore! We bought a starbucks barista brand espresso machine on 1/2 off sale (250 bucks) and it has paid for itself a thousand times over. It makes fantastic americanos.
                "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Hopefully not the same espresso machine I paid $600 for two years ago. It listed at $850 or so back then. Definitely a nice machine. Made by an Italian co.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Well the new espresso machine arrived. Finally got what I believe to be the very best (and also the most expensive), the ECM Technika III from Germany,
                    Trying it out and still have a long way to go to get that perfect mug of coffee.
                    Finding the right beans, the best grind, tamping technique, milk raising, even milk pouring all has an influence on final taste. Even looking at special non chlorinated water! It really is a science,
                    The other half came up with a suggestion that the kids can club together and buy me a Barista course for fathers day.
                    Yeh, that's right, I get to do all the work for them and their coffee's, right? wrong!!!!
                    I'm not a teacher for nothing. There will be some immediate 'on-the-job-training', some evaluation and assessments given. They will have to excell to achieve competence so that they can make MY coffees!

Neill
                    Last edited by nissanneill; 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

How's the machine doing? I am definitely keeping my Rancilio Silvia and Iberital grinder indoors - English weather has even been in the news now.

And unlike some here, I have built my oven close to the roof over the patio. I don't do sacrifices and getting wet while everybody else is enjoying themselves - would be.

It's raining as I write ....

W.
                      "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

The Technika III is a great machine. I was disappointed at first as the brew coming out of it was only pretty average, but like you, I now have an Iberital grinder which after numerous grind trials, am now producing very very enjoyable espresso.
                        Hell, this is a real science. Done some research and got it working in the right direction.
                        It won't be located permanently outdoors but will be aggisted there at times.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

The biggest jump in quality for me came when I started roasting my own beans. My old roaster finally died, and this is the one I have now:

i-Roast - The NEW Hearthware iRoast 2 Home Coffee Roaster - In Stock -Hearthware i Roast

It's a small roaster, but does twice as much as my previous and is serving well. Very simple to use.

I get all my green coffee beans from Sweet Marias as well, and am particularly fond of their "Monkey Blend" for espresso.

Good luck with it!
                          Travis n'Texas
                          TravisNTexas

Comment

Travis,
                            I am not that ambitous yet. I am quite happy to purchase different beans fresh from the market, simply grind and make good coffee.
                            I am still coming to grips with the different grind settings as I still can't get that good crema. Changed from tap water to spring water (no chemicals nor chlorine), and still playing with grins particle size and different blend of beans.
                            I am always prepared to try new methods and processes especially if the result is better, but I have relatively simple tastes.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Understood. But there's always a but!

Using truly freshly roasted beans (beans that sat after roasting only for a couple of days to out gas) also solved all my crema issues that I had from the store bought beans.

Refine grind and tamp procedures till you get the shot times correct, then if you are still having crema issues, it may well be that your beans are older than they should be.

Just my two bits, your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
                              Travis n'Texas
                              TravisNTexas

Comment

Working...
                              X