Water to outdoor kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water to outdoor kitchen

I'm looking at alternatives for attaching running water to the house out to the kitchen.... it's the physical link between the house and kitchen that I'm interested in...

I'm gonna need to drain it for 3 months of the year - so I was thinking of piping a new hose bib under my deck and connecting the outdoor kitchen plumbing to the hose bib (with backflow preventer) via a hose from the RV shopt that resembles a hose that connects your washer to the indoor plumbing.

As with any project - I seem to develop shipwrights disease and I think I'd like to have as much flow out there as possible - decided to build in irrigation to water plants on the patio and the plants that surround the patio (tomatos, basil, garlic, etc....). So now I'm wondering if a hose bib is enough... I don't think they make a frostproof 3/4 inch hose bib.

I've looked on the internet a bunch and just have not seen a clean way to connect my outdoor kitchen to house water. Anyone out there got any ideas or can direct me to a website that has some reasonably high flow alternatives.

Thanks!
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Re: Water to outdoor kitchen

Christo, would you actually be doing both at the same time? (watering plants AND running water in your outdoor kitchen). A standard hose bib should provide plenty for the individual tasks. Even shared, I don't see you needing fire hose capacity in the outdoor kitchen.
    I opted against the outdoor sink because I didn't see a need great enough for the trouble and expense (besides, my indoor kitchen sink is only about 25 ft away). My 2 cents
    RT

Comment

That plastic piping used for garden plumbing/sprinkler systems would work fine. Just put in a drain for winterizing and blow it out if needbe.
      Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

I bet you already have one of those nice hose reel boxes with 50-100' of hose in it already that you use for watering your garden. Go to hardware store and pick up a female hose to iron pipe connector to fit the plumbing on your outdoor sink. When its time to start firing the WFO just unreel hose and water the plants. Now route the hose where it will not be a trip hazard and connect it to the sink plumbing via connector you purchased. You now have running water in your outdoor sink. As for hot water a kettle can be heated and used. Not much hot water will be needed out there at most times anyway. When finished for the evening just disconnect and roll it up. During winter disconnect hose reel and roll it into garage as before.

And if you want the backflow preventer. They have those that hook directly to the hose bib. Screw it on and install set screw. It will be there where its needed anyway. Oh yeah and a 5/8" garden hose will give you plenty of water depending on existing water pressure and flow.
        Last edited by CajunKnight; 05-28-2008, 04:24 PM.
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
        like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Christo-
          By the date on these posts I'm guessing you solved your water problem already, but I agree with Cajunknight above...just run a hose with a connector you can pick up at the local hardware. My problem is that my hose will be well exposed to my guests and won't look too great. So I will attach my sink to my in-ground sprinkler system which already has the backflow option built in and is on all spring and summer. Also for drainage, I will drain my sink into a ten gallon bucket with holes and rocks underground that should do the trick for my water needs. good luck.
          Bartondad

Comment

My solution is very similar to what we spoke about above.

I added a hose bib to my house under the deck. I dug a trench between the new hose bib and the outdoor kitchen and ran a 1 inch flexible water line 25 feet or so into my outdoor kitchen cabinet - from there I teed off 3 areas - one for sink; one for auto waters (with backflow prevention) and one for hosebib on back of the kitchen.

At the house, I used a flexible washing machine style hose (food grade for hooking up water to mobile homes) to connect the hose bib at the house with the line to the outdoor kitchen (with another backflow preventor - probably overkill).

It works well and I can blow out the line in the winter to make sure things don't freeze.

Christo
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

If you are using thewater for cooking or drinking do not use a standard garden hose. You need to use Pex tubig with an adapter easily bought at any plumbing supply store.

Comment

Working...
              X