Thinking of an oven, but need to remodel-ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of an oven, but need to remodel-ideas

Alright, so last year I went ahead and built myself a built in bbq island with sink and finished with Travertine tile. Came out nice and we have been using it a lot. Now I find this site and really want to build an oven. Unfortunatly I don't really have any other good areas in the yard for an oven and I can't simply add on to the left of the existing because of the waterfall I put in.

So I'm thinking of 2 possible scenarios, I demo the counter top(tile only cost $100) and turn the bbq parallel with the hot tub and put the sink past the bbq. Maybe I could put the sink in the corner before the bbq(lots of thing to consider) and then build the oven where the sink currently is. This would take the block base to the corner of the patio on the left and leave my waterfall visable still.

Option 2 is to move the waterfall to another location. This wouldn't be very hard and would probably save me some $. But, as the waterfall sits now, I can see it from my dining room which is kinda nice when we eat in there.

Just though of option 3-move the bbq. The only problem I see with that is the lack of flow if you will. I think it may look odd with the bbq seperate from everything else, plus then the sink is kinda far from the bbq. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. Help me out some could ya'?

I'm looking for some input and thoughts from you guys. I know many here have a lot experience with these things and would love to hear your thoughts. I'm open to all ideas and appriciate the help. Thanks.

Forest
    Last edited by reefman; 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM.

Re: Thinking of an oven, but need to remodel-ideas

Hi Reefman, and welcome aboard.
    A location plan would help with your existing setup with some better indication of adjoining features and some dimensions.
    Just looking at your pictures and layout, my initial thoughts would be to extend your BBQ base back toward the fence, (a little more adjacent to the hot tub) and relocate the BBQ there.
    Where you have the BBQ at present, I would look at building up the base to accomodate the oven at the required height (but ensure that it is adequately capable of carying the extra weight) and building the oven with your existing bench/sink close where they would be needed. Carefull planning would be needed to ensure aadequate bench space is maintained and selecting a domed Pompeii rather than a structured small building which would (I feel) dominate and block out your other features
    Get some paper, take some measurements and draw up a plan with fairly accurate scale and let's have another look.
    I am at a similar situation, trying to plan an outdoor kitchen in an already existing excavated/retaining walled patio area with quite definite boundaries and limitations, only need to ensure maximisation use of existing area and facilities.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I'm definetly planning to do in igloo, not a structure. That would definetly over power everything else. I'll have to do a drawing in order to help everyone visualize things better.

Had another thought while I was outside earlier. If I were to move the sink to behind the bbq, I would have plenty of room to put my wfo next to the bbq. Now that I'm thinking about it, what if I were to move the bbq to the left and put the wfo where the bbq is now. I'm thinking maybe that would look less intrusive to the waterfall.?! But then you can't see the sink, which is kinda a shame since it's hand hammered copper. I guess it's a matter of wheighing all your options. That's why I'm looking for outside thoughts. Thanks again!

Comment

you gotta build the WFO

once you have it .. the BBQ won't cross your mind much
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I really want the oven, but I don't think I'll forget the bbq. I've been doin' it too long, plus there's some things you can do with a bbq that you couldn't with an oven. The oven would just compliment and complete everything. I've got the wood bbq(my favorite ), gas bbq(convinient and use it for the camper), and the smoker. You see with the oven, now I could do somthing like a smoked bbq chicken pizza and bread. I just wish I had thought of the oven and done some research before I did the bbq-I hate doing things twice, but now I don't think it's complete without an oven.

Comment

Can you add an extension to the sink end?

maybe angle it back towards the water feature?

made a quick sketch below....
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

Can you live without the sink? I've seen in other posts on design that folks tend not to use sink that much if they're close to water source in house.

You could put WFO in place of sink and for times you want water nearby, I've seen portable sinks (in faux stone no less!) that hook up to a hose...you could wheel it in as needed.
              ------------------------
              "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Christo, great idea! I hadn't even thought of that possability yet. That would simplify things alot and probably look pretty good. I'll have to go do some measuring and look at it. Thanks!

Cplain, I had thought about losing the sink, but I would really like to keep it if possible. I already have the water run out there, plus the kitchen is at the front of the house while this is in the backyard. I don't use it tons, but I do like having it there when I'm bbqing, just makes it nice for rinsing the hands and tools. PLus it's copper, it's kinda cool.

Comment

Lose the sink and use your adjoining waterfall for washup purposes. If you used biodegradable detergent, you could also reuse the water for the garden.

Just kidding!

but you can always fit in a sink and almost anywhere that you can plumb it with waste and hot/cold water, even behind the oven.

Decissions, decissions! Always having to make choices from alll of those options.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

A sink is a really useful thing. Tending the fire, particularly with aluminum handled tools, leaves your hands pretty grubby, and then dough handling? You want at least a rinse between the two.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Funny, I wrote a response earlier, but I see it's not here, huh... Anyways, yes, I plan to try and keep the sink by any means possible. My kitchen is in the front of the house while the bbq area is out back. I don't use the sink a ton, but it sure is nice to have there when you want it. With christos' idea though, I wouldn't even have to touch the sink. I was looking at it earlier and I'm thinking this may be the configuration I go with.

Comment

How about getting rid of sink where it is...building oven on it and to left. Then replumb sink so it comes out of wall. Might get in the way, but you might be able to find some cool wall fountain like they have in Italy, or maybe find/fabricate cool metal sink that doesn't stick out very far.
                        ------------------------
                        "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

It's kinda in the way there, plus you lose good counter space behind it. I like your train of thought on this though. Maybe I could move it around the corner to left. This would be a good compromise of form and fucnction.

Comment

Working...
                          X