Planning the Patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning the Patio

Well I am getting ready to go home & start working on the patio. I am trying to plan it out carefully, so as to end up with a really great, usable space.
    I did a few simple drawings with MSPaint that I was hoping to get some suggestions from.
    This is my yard as it stands now:

The plan is to mark out & pour a slab that connects to the existing slab. Phase 2 will be to put in a stairway & double doors where my dining room window is.
    Maybe something like this:

I feel like concrete is the best way forward, but am open to other ideas..
    Here is one more:

I want to end up with something very useable & well laid out.
    S.

PS. In case you were wondering, No! They are not to scale
    Last edited by sharp21; 06-14-2008, 08:47 AM.

Re: Planning the Patio

I like the second one better- especially if you leave your oven igloo shaped. I like the way all the curves repeat. Planning your design carefully so you can do it in stages if you need to is a very smart way to go.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

How close is your oven to the property line or the house? Many areas have restrictions regarding these. If you are close than 10 ft to the house, most areas will require you to meet internation fire codes. ( I.E. a chimney 3 ft taller than any part of the structure within 10 ft.)
      Having said that, I like #3. It puts seating close to the oven so your guests can distract you while you are burning pizza.
      Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

No way to save the lilac? What a shame--that's one of the plants I miss most here in the desert. Aside from that lament, I, too, like the last design a lot. But do check with your local codes. I just had to completely rethink my overall design and placement based on setback regulations. Good thing I checked before I started pouring the foundation.
        Nikki

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
          I actually just whipped up #3 at the end, but its the one I am leaning towards as well.
          As far as building codes, I need to keep the oven 10' from combustables, so I am going to measure off the house & the fence, then let that be my datum for the rest of the build. The 4th pine tree on the right will need to come out too.
          As for the lilac, I would like to transplant it, as it is a very nice one. The drawings arent to scale & speaking with the wife yesterday she says that it will get in the way of the stairs, so it definately needs to go...
          I am also planning on leaving the oven as an igloo, so it doesnt overpower the yard.
          I thought of doing some kind of compass rose inset mosaic, like in drawing #2.
          S.

Comment

Sharp,

One small idea -- you need to maintain 10' from combustibles from the chimney, not the entire oven. That might give you an additional foot or so in one direction or the other. The setbacks from the oven opening are typically 30" from each side of the oven opening and 36" in front of the opening. Though a concrete or brick patio isn't combustible. :-)

If your local building department is going to take a look, you can use the Casa installation guide as a guideline. It should help.

I hope you can save the Lillac.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ive added a couple of things to that last one. We are planning on building some raised gardens & I would like to build a shed that sticks through the fence, but with the bulk of the body in the RV parking space (gravel).

Again, its not to scale so the patio set is too big, but you get the idea.
              Added the mosaic back in to see how that might look & moved the seating wall/bench/planter a bit.
              S.

Edit: Now that I am looking at it again, we will probably extend the lower garden box further into the yard.
              Last edited by sharp21; 06-14-2008, 03:56 AM.

Comment

It's looking really good. I have raised beds as well, and I love them. Much less bending over and they stay a whole lot neater. Put as much in of those as you can squeeze in! They're also quite productive in a small space. The book "square foot gardening", is a big help in the idea department (his electrical conduit trellis is ingenious and cheap!), although he's a bit self-promoting in some ways, and thus gets a little irritating. Over all, though, there's a lot of information there.

I like the mosaic too.

When faced with our oven plans, our building inspector just shrugged and said "looks like an outdoor barbeque to me, no inspections or codes to follow". I guess it's different everywhere.
                Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

One quick note: your idea of tilting the oven mouth toward the kitchen window was a good one: a quick glance from inside will tell you if you need to add wood.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Aha! Honestly I had it angled that way to provide better viewing from the seating area. When I started thinking about the built in seat I moved it, but thats a good idea.
                    Good point also about the 10' being to the chimney. That could end up making a big difference.
                    S.

Comment

I think you are on the right track. I will share what I did that helped me. Take garbage cans, cardboard boxes, actual chairs, hose, etc and lay out in approximate scale of where your items will be placed. Then look at each of the focal points from all the areas of your house and yard. For instance do you want to look out the French doors of your dining room to the side of your oven or have it angled to provide the eye a nice focal point? Do you want to have the seating area off the dining room and have the oven closer to your kitchen door? Actually walk through the choreography of mobilizing people, food, drinks through the space. Anyway, the more ways you can consider it the better.

Comment

Im definitely going to lay everything out before breaking ground. The drawings just help me to visualize it while I am away from home.
                        Luckily ive only got another week at work before Ill get back there again!
                        Good idea about being able to see the opening from the patio door! I think the angled opening will be the way to go.
                        S.

Comment

Working...
                        X