Ceramic Tile on Counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Tile on Counter

When I built my oven I included a prep counter and just poured it with concrete dyed terra cotta color. The top surface is fine, but the sides should have been vibrated more during the pour and have voids and holes.

I've been thinking of covering it with ceramic tile. I'm located in North Carolina, so it can get a bit cold and frozen - no roof over it. I've had no problems with the decorative tiles I set in the stucco on teh exterior of the oven.

Any comments about tile on an outside counter? Installation comments (what did you seal it with? mastic or quickset? ETC. )?

Thanks,
    Chuckster

Re: Ceramic Tile on Counter

Chuck,

I was told by a few people to avoid ceramics and even granite, if it?s subject to freeze. I went with porcelain and added latex into the thinset. Been through one winter so far with no problems.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

What width grout line did you use? Regular grout or the polymer stuff?

Chuck

Comment

Chuck,

I used 1/8 in. grout. The grout was Mapei Keracolor. They claim it's freeze resistant. I bought it at Lowes.

Les?
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

Right, thanks! What a helpful site

Chuck

Comment

I was told to avoid ceramics as it?s subject to freeze. I went with Granite Countertops with no problems.
            Granite Countertops

Comment

Chuck,
              I am preparing to do a concrete prep surface on my oven also. During my research on the subject some had mentioned that if there are voids in the surface to mix a thin mortar of the same color (or contrasting color if you are looking for notable color variation) and trowl it on filling in the voids, then polish. The photos I saw of this process gave the counter a very cool look.

This may be a good option if there is any reserve using tile to cover the concrete.

John

Comment

Chuck,
                As suggested above. Small voids can be filled with a portland cement and tint material. Keep it moist for 3 days. Sand or polish it after 7 -10 days. For bigger voids, add fine sand to the mix. If you're polishing the concrete, you can screen sand with larger gravel in it. Give that a minimum of 10 days before going at it with a wet grinder.

If you find that you missed a spot or two, re-do it a second time. Two times was the most I ever had to do.
                Last edited by gjbingham; 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                X