No announcement yet.

How far is your kitchen from the House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far is your kitchen from the House?

I already have an outdoor kitchen right off the house, but am working on a plan for a wood fired oven and a few other things.

How far is your WFO from your house?

Ellie

Re: How far is your kitchen from the House?

Hi Ellie,

What is your concern about where the oven is located? Are you asking about how the space functions in relation to other work area's , or is you question about building codes?

I ended up putting our oven a bit further from the house (about 35 feet), mostly because we didn't have a good place near the house to develop the area around the oven. Because our oven is away from the house, and away from property lines, our local building officials were not interested in inspecting my work. For me, that was good as I didn't have to buy a building permit or schedule inspections.

Good luck with your planning. How big of an oven are you hoping to build?

JED

Comment

I am wondering how far because of cooking and bringing ingredients and dishes out to the oven. I see some of these dreamy ovens in the garden, but wonder how practical?

I am planning on a 42" oven with a dutch oven cooking area to one side and a simple barbecue grill (wood or charcoal) on the other. It will be about 15' away.

I have another space that is about 50' away and it already has a slab poured but Neill gave me better ideas. This was in the introductions thread, "Hi from Northern California".

Ellie

Comment

Mine's about 15 feet from the back door- and the door's in the breakfast room, right off the kitchen. I usually make pizza on the table next to the door and run out with them. (my counter next to the oven's not finished yet) I don't have any problem carrying my fully loaded 7qt cast iron LeCreuset pot out to it- just opening the door with my hands full! It's less convenient then just using the oven in the kitchen, but I didn't build it for convenience, I built it for fun. And it is big fun!
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Yeah, Elizabeth, my door to the back is the kitchen door. You are right, this is for fun. I am getting tremendous ideas here. I just read the thread about your build. It was interesting and your oven is way cool.

Ellie
          Last edited by Ellie; 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Hi Ellie,
            My outdoor kitchen is almost identical to yours but I don't have the room nor options that your yard offers. You can check out my kitchen at:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

There are a host of pics and plans here which may help you plan your oven area.
            I have put some thought onto your existing area and I personally would locate the oven under a vine planted pergola, with the oven backing onto your BBQ and smoker wall area. I would dig out only sections of lawn and place groups of cement slabs where you might place tables whilst retaining the cooling effects of the lawn and reducing the costs to a pergola and oven and a few cement slabs.
            Planning on a party, water thoroughly the lawn 24 hrs before and you will have a lovely shaded close and convenient area where you might decide to prepare food within the house but all cooking and serving will be in one easy location. You might need to watch the access to your pool area which looks like it is close behind your existing outdoor kitchen wall.
            If it unbarably hot, you could always install very fine water atomisers on the pergola beams and put copious quantities of cooling moisture into the air

Cheers,

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

My kitchen is a good 25 ft from my back door but I have to walk about 35 ft to get there - across my covered porch, down 5 stairs and out to the kitchen.

We have not made pizzas outside yet, so the run from the house to the oven can be a bit much. My wife will be happy when the countertops are finished so we (actually I) wont' get so much flour on the foor..

Plans are for the left wing off of the oven to have 2 pizza prep areas with a center staging area for sauce and ingredients.

Christo
              Last edited by christo; 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM.
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Neill, Christo, your kitchens are beautiful. I have been thinking of having my wfo next to the kitchen area I already have and it will cover up the unsightly sides of the above ground pool. I do have misters around the veranda. With our temps here, that has been a welcomed relief from the heat. I like the lawn and concrete idea, though, I wonder about a small patio... it will blend nicely and I will have less weeding to do.

Thanks a bunch,
                Ellie
                Last edited by Ellie; 01-05-2009, 08:06 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

My oven's about 100 feet, 30 Meters from the kitchen. Way too far if you're eating indoors. My old gas grill is about half the distance, and I miss cooking on it when I have to venture out an additionaly 50 feet to the new grill. I thought I'd love having the new grill out on the side of the house. Turns out (at least during winter), it's a detriment to me grilling as often as I'd like.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I hear ya George, I have a similar feeling about my setup - though I still use it alot.

My old grill was on the covered part of deck right outside the kitchen door. I could grill on the coldest and rainiest nights without putting on a coat! Now there is a few steps and a walk into the elements....

But at least for me the other advantages of the kitchen make up for it.

Christo
                    My oven progress -
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                    sigpic

Comment

This helps me gents... thanks,
                      Ellie

Comment

Check into your local codes before you make any solid plans. We built ours as close as codes would allow. The oven had to be 10 feet away from any part of the house, so we made the base start exactly 10 feet from the house. The way it worked out in our yard, the outdoor kitchen starts about 15 feet from our back door (off the kitchen), and you have to walk approximately another 10 feet to get to the oven.
                        Nikki

Comment

Our "real" kitchen...to get access to the brick oven we need to leave thru the side door and walk to the back yard and open the gate...a hassel. Or we can go thru the dining room family room and head to the oven..a hassel..or we can hand things thru the kitchen window. SOOOO right next to the brick oven was my daughters old "play house" its a shed that is connected to our detached garage. This fall we put tile on the floor, added lighting, counter tops, cabinets, fridge, microwave. We don't have a sink or running water but it is a god send! It saves a ton of work we keep all our paper goods out there, drinks, flour etc. so we are not running from the real kitchen to the back yard.
                          Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X