fly control in the outdoor kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fly control in the outdoor kitchen

does anyone have any ideas for fly control while having pizza parties in the outdoor pizza kitchen / dining / living areas. during several pizza parties last year, the fly problem got disgusting. would like to do better in 2009. located in omaha nebraska away from the city on a small horse acreage.

Re: fly control in the outdoor kitchen

we have some days when the fly's really get going, on those days I find it key to keep all the food covered as much as possible. We have some fans that we bring out as well. I've used some citronella stake candles which I think work (at least in my imagination)

Comment

dfucinaro
      I bought a bug and fly trap which worked OK just, and the other week I also got a commercial 60w 3 UV fluoro bug zapper which is mounted over and a little behind the pizza assembly area. We haven't had any fly problems to try them both out but will see how they go over the Easter break.

Rastys
      If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

RED PEPPER FLAKES (or cayenne pepper) scatter it on your deck sprinkle some every once in awhile your fire (while not cooking). it works. even works on fish docks.
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
        like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

I have one of these. Way big fun!
          DealExtreme: $7.87 Electronic Bug Zapper Racket

Outdoors, I'll use on of those food tents.
          Food Tents - Barbeque - Outdoor Entertaining - Outdoor Living - Improvements Catalog

Comment

We used to live near a horse area, and we would buy wasp parasites that lay their eggs on fly larvae. It seemed to keep the fly population down.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

A bug zapper, cool!

Never seen one of those... Now I know what to give my husband for his birthday, I'll bet he could have hours of fun!
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

One thing (or one of many) I never got about Europe is that there are no window screens. I figured that the place was too classy to have flys.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

We rented a big old house outside Florence, and the previous renters were Americans who lived there while they renovated another house in the neighborhood.

And they had installed fly screens on all the windows (on their own nickel). What a luxury -- the mosquitoes were the biggest problem.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                    One thing (or one of many) I never got about Europe is that there are no window screens. I figured that the place was too classy to have flys.
                    Har har! Sure, far too classy!

But its interesting that. No idea why it should be so...

Personally I think screens look ugly and would rather put up with the flies, but I'd be the first to admit thats a pretty stupid reason.

Does anyone know of some obscure historical fact about why Europeans don't have fly screens?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post

...they got 'em now...roll down type!
                      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Another (cheap) technique... used by many ex-Aust Army
                        place a 'sacrificial' bowl of scraps (make sure there is a bit of meat or seafood)- away from main eating area... after waving flies away repeatedly (we call this 'the Aussie salute'), they will actually learn that a free feed is still available without the effort
                        You will still get the occassional intruder - but you'll be surprised at the effectiveness of this method to lure them away

Comment

Thanks to all who answered. I have settled on three methods so far:
                          1. the parasites that consume or destroy the fly larvae.
                          2. the fly bait container that attracts then traps the flies.
                          3. and yes I will try the cayenne pepper sprinkled on the deck.3

I will let everyone know how it goes this "pizza" season.
                          David

Comment

quick update:

the fly bait trap systems work good, have trapped several thousands (at least) of flies. the gnat parasites that eat the fly larvae also seems to be working as we have fewer barn flies at the horse barn, thus fewer flies at the pizza kitchen.

Comment

Working...
                            X