Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Design

Greetings All,
    This is my first post on this Forum. I am planning my outdoor kitchen and would appreciate any feedback as to the design. I will have a Pompeii oven in the corner, a stand alone grill, counter with fridge (possibly dishwasher and storage, just not drawn in yet). There will be a bar top and a half circle table. One of my goals is ease of clean up, hense the open areas under the bar and table, easy to wash down the area with a hose. The half circle table gives enough seating for 5 to 6 comfortably and 3-4 on the bar top. The cook can easily serve from the inside the flat edge of the table. I have two 20A circuits, gas, water and sewer previously plummbed into the corner under the Pompeii oven. As a side question has anyone had experiance building a combo gas/wood oven? Benifits-pitfalls?
    I have attached a mock up which was drawn in Google Sketchup
    Thanks, Travis
    ~Travis

Re: Kitchen Design

Nice layout. Remember to aim your opening so you aren't bumping your guests with your peel handle

Gas isn't recommended for domestic ovens. Unlike an open barbeque, gas can build up in the dome and possibly explode. Commercial pizza ovens with gas burners have expensive safety controls, and are used in a commercial environment with trained workers.

Besides, wood burning is so much fun.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun, thanks for the advice on the peel, how long are the handles typically?
      My thought on the gas would be two fold, first to get a fire going and second to heat up the oven quickly.
      I however never thought of a gas buildup problem, with the door closed there would be nowhere for the gas to go, still thinking about it however.
      BTW I followed your post and pictures on the geodesic oven, very nice.
      Travis
      ~Travis

Comment

first to get a fire going and second to heat up the oven quickly.
        Some users have used a big weed burner to get their fires going, and this isn't a gas accumulation problem, because the tank and the burner are stored well away from the oven. I start my fires with newspaper, and never have a problem.

Contrary to what you might think, gas doesn't heat ovens up very quickly. Commercial operations that use gas, have huge one inch feeds, and their ovens tend to stay hot all the time. You just don't get that many BTU's out of a barbeque sized propane tank.

My oven tools have 48 inch handles.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I actually have a 1.5" gas feed directly under the oven location, so I have plenty of supply. My thought was to have a round burner, which would sit a few inches up from the floor and run around the perimeter of the oven. Similar to the type of burner which would be used in a firepit.
          I still like the idea that it would be easy to light and heat, but going strait wood doesnt sound that bad either. I like your idea of one of those weed burners.
          Travis
          ~Travis

Comment

Travis - go w/ David on this. There really is no need for gas. My last three fires were started with the "top down" method and it works great. You light one match and can walk away for 1/2 hour easily. If I knew what I was doing, I could probably heat the oven like James did in his video.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

We may design kitchen with cabinets its looking bueatiful.

I tried it is great and bueatiful.
              Thanks

Melvin Smith
              Kitchen Cabinet

Comment

A good stone or brick mason can incorporate your grill into an awesome outside kitchen. Draw your plans up, somewhat to scale and build around your grill. It will be awesome. Best of Luck and Happy Cooking!
                kitchen faucets

Comment

Travis, nice layout, very similar to what I did. Good luck.

Comment

Really a good stone and it's really very useful.keep it the good work going.

Comment

Working...
                    X