Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet Doors?

Hey Guys & Gals,

I'm building outdoor bar seating beside our oven. The construction is metal stud with hardibacker then stucco. The bars will have some doors on one side so the bar-stools can be stored inside the bar when not in use ( clever, huh? ).

I need some custom sized doors for the storage area. Any ideas on what type of wood or material I should use? I will be painting them with exterior latex.

I'm thinking about MDF or particle board because it's easy to work with. Anyone have other ideas for materials? Would finish grade plywood hold up better?

Thanks!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Re: Cabinet Doors?

When I had to tile a kitchen counter, I think my cabinet guy called what he supplied MDF. It's very water resistant, which you'll need where you're doing this. That would get my vote over particle board or plywood (which would need to be the treated kind and I don't know that you can get that in finish grade). There's a particle board called advantek we use for subfloors, which is really good for wet locations, but I don't know that I'd want to use it for doors- it's pretty heavy and I don't know that you'll be happy with screws, hinges, and particle board..... I see sagging loose doors in the future. MDF is a lot lighter, so not as much of a problem.

Just my two cents...
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Comment

Be sure to apply a good sealer. I'd recommend multiple coats of thin shellac followed by a high quality exterior paint. There are water resistant versions of MDF but they are not cheap. Standard MDF that you get at your box store is not water resistant. It will suck up water easily and will also get moldy easily.. but so will any untreated wood. If you seal it you'll be fine.
        Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Thanks Shay, that's exactly what I needed to know!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Thank you for sharing i really get what i was looking for.hopping to see some more updates from your side.

Comment

Hi Ken,
              don't stuff around with chipped up wood and stuck together with glue as in MDF, custom wood and chip boards, go for the construction plywood in a variety of thicknesses and it is waterproof, ie. the same adhesives as marine ply but with a cheaper surface timber.
              The type of ply they use for framing and boxing up concrete patterns (often available with a polished black coating) would be much more serviceable especially if you plan on painting it.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Standard MDF and particle found at Home Depot or Lowes will turn to oatmeal if exposed to water. I wouldn't recommend it unless you can keep EVERY square inch completely sealed at all times - this means no dings, dents or scratches.
                I actually ruined the top of a brand new bench that I had built in my garage with a large cup of water. I used melamine covered particle board shelving for the top (very clean and smooth). The problem was the one exposed edge, I left it unsealed towards the wall. The cup of water somehow was knocked over and puddled along the back edge, I guess slowly running down the back. The exposed edge sucked up every drop and an area about 6"x12" swelled to about twice the original thickness. Looked and felt like thick oatmeal. Cheap to fix, but showed me exactly what happens when exposed to water. I have seen the same thing happen to MDF baseboards and casings in homes that have had roof or plumbing leaks.

RT

Comment

Working...
                X