Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use for my worktop bench??

Hi everyone,

I am almost ready to finsh off my worktop bench for my WFO and am wondering what to do it in. My WFO sits on a 45 degree angle in my patio with a bench of around 1.8 metres running off to the right. My first thought was tiles as they can be done in any kind of colour and price wise, its not too exy. But the only problem is keeping the grout clean when doing lots of food on the bench like preparing pizzas, roast, ect. The other option is doing a stone top. They are easy to clean, look good....but can cost alot of money. What does eveyone out there have and is it better to stick to tiles or spend the extra on stone??

Cheers
    Scott

Re: What to use for my worktop bench??

I used bull-nosed terra cotta tiles and then sealed them thoroughly to prevent any liquid getting into the surface.
    Last edited by heliman; 04-08-2010, 02:57 PM.
    / Rossco

Comment

The rolled-edge stainless tops used in commercial kitchens are surprisingly affordable, and can be bought for close to the scrap cost used, if you don't mind a dent or two. They also come with stainless legs if you don't want to build a base.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Concrete, well sealed.

Comment

This is what my WFO and bench look like....thinking sealed tiles may be the way to go. I am thinking stone will cost too much. Ideas would be great.

Cheers
          Scott

Comment

DIY concrete counters. You could do that much for very little $$. I prefer moulded vs. cast in place, but both have their benefits. More work than tiling, however.

Comment

Call me old fashioned, but I use pine. Being snow covered for 5-6 months a year means tile/stone/steel suck the heat out of everything and freeze your cleanup cloth.. The old thinking used to be that wood was un hygenic , but recent research has shown that the same properties that stop wood from decomposing also rid it of bacteria in a short time..[it's those plastic cutting boards that are extreemly unhygenic].
              OK, so the fat and ashes can[ and will] stain the wood and when it's new it's like a dent in your new car,, but call just call it patina and if it gets too much for you slap on a new bit of wood.

Comment

Polished concrete. Down to 3000 grit. (aka cultured marble)

Seal it with something like "Aqua Mix enrich'n'seal"

Finished surface is food safe, will take 500 degree pots, is indestructible, you can roll dough on it, it is cheap, and be made to any shape you want and it looks great. There are various colors of concrete dye available.

And, you will learn a whole new skill while making it !
                Last edited by Neil2; 02-21-2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Go to this site CHENG Concrete Exchange - Concrete Countertops - Design Ideas, Concrete Countertop Training, DIY + Pro Products, Find a Contractor. I have used their products on a few customers counters. You can do a lot of fun things. Do precast easier than poured in place. I bent some stick copper into a sun shape and filled it with amber glass. Then scattered mother of pearl then poured on top of it. When you polish you expose everything.

Comment

Nice site mikeye15.

You can do just about anything with concrete counter tops. And they are cheap (for materials - lots of labour). A perfect excuse to buy more tools !

Comment

If you don't want a full granite or marble top, how about incorporating just a small section of stone set into the top just for making pizza's on?
                      -------------------------------------------
                      My 2nd Build:
                      Is here

Comment

Hey all,,
                        I was gonna make a concrete countertop till I found a place that had soapstone remnants.. Here's the link to that thread if your interested..
                        Cheers
                        Mark
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...html#post86681

Comment

I saw a photo somewhere (not sure if it was on here) of a workbench done in small polished river bed stones. I thought it looked really good and looks like a hard wearing surface...but that idea has been Vetoed by The Minster for Finance and Household Relations (The Mrs!!). So, I guess we will still be doing the bench in tiles. We both would love to do it in granet or Marble, but it really does cost alot of money. Does anyone have an idea of what type of tiles to use??? We were looking a a glossy 200 x 200 tile. Or would a rough finsh tile be the way to go??

Cheers
                          Scott

Comment

Scott,
                            I recently put a soapstone entry in my oven and couldn't help but notice your entry. Is that Granite? is it holding up, no cracking or spalling? The reason I ask is the SStone I put into the entry was quick and easy, but the rest of my area is Granite. It looks very similar to what you have in the entry.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,
                              Yes mate, the entrance is granite. It just slides in on top of some insulation board and I think it looks good. No cracks in it, and it does hold a fair bit of heat...also acts as a food warmer when waiting for people to get themselves ready. Just enough heat from the oven and in the granite to keep the food nice and hot. A granite bench would be wicked, but can only guess how much it would cost.

Scott

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X