insulating lid of propane grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulating lid of propane grill?

I don't have the time/space to build a proper wood oven, but I was considering putting my pizza stone/tile on my propane grill to cook pizzas. I can easily get the lid to 600-700F (keeping the propane on the whole time rather than pre-heating like a wood oven). Would it help to insulate this inside of the lid with some sort of blanket or fire-proof tiles? It looks like it is a double layer of stainless steel and it gets very hot on the outside. Has anyone tried this before?

Re: insulating lid of propane grill?

At the building supply shop, their grill had a layer of perlite insulation on top of it but it was not done to cook pizzas.

You can always add a rack over your pizza stone and place bricks over it to act as the top of the oven if you are unable to build the full oven.

Comment

Re: insulating lid of propane grill?

Wow this is an old thread!

I ended up inserting a layer of KAOWOOL in between the two stainless sheet metal layer on the lid. Then I built a jig to hold two granite tiles about 4" apart. This setup gets very hot in about 30 mins and cooks a very respectable pizza. Still, it's not a WFO, which I plan to start on next summer.

Comment

Working...
      X