Carabba's wood grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carabba's wood grill

I keep sitting at the counter at our local Carabba's restaraunt and looking at their combination wood/gas grill that they grill all their meats on and can't help but think that theirs may be the perfect grill.

Cast iron grates, on top of gas flames, which are all on top of wood logs that are charred from above by the same gas flames. Now, granted, they are in an indoor setting, so they have to have the overhead suck fans to pull out the smoke, but since we are all outdoors, we don't. It seems like the perfect combination of heat control (gas flames to your exact liking) and the charred wood for that oh soooo good flavor.

What do you guys think?

Tom

Re: Carabba's wood grill

Sounds great - we need pictures.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I think that the "grill" flavor comes from the grease dripping on the hot coals and vaporizing. Once wood/charcoal gets hot enough to grill, there's not much smoke involved, unless you cover, and add wet chips to the edge of the fire. Me? I don't like gas grills much, but lots of folks have them.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

who makes the carabbbas grill?

Comment

I travel a lot and love to sit at the "Pasta Bar" at Carrabba's. They never let the wood catch fire and turn to hot coals. They just want the wood to smoke. If a log catches fire, the cook has a water bottle and quickly puts it out.

It's a pretty simple design. The hardest part would be acquiring the burners that point downward toward the wood. The logs lay in a metal or brick-lined bin. And there is a grate above.

I can see where that would work great outdoors.
          Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Working...
          X