Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The grill part of the grill - who made it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The grill part of the grill - who made it?

What metals are ok?
    Where and how much is it?
    I am thinking about making a brick grill, and once it is built, measuring the opening and having a grilll made for it. Who makes such things? What are the best metals to use? What are the pro's and con's of different designs.

Re: The grill part of the grill - who made it?

A grille is very easy to manufacture, in fact I am thinking seriously of making one to slide into my Pompeii for the cooking of some special steaks.
    I plan on using some 1" x 1/4" flat mild steel and welding them around 3/4" apart. This is a very easy task but I plan on making it adjustable height (depending on the amount and intensity of the coals within the oven), with a single action adjustment. This adds a little complication but makes it extremely versatile.
    Any welder or fabricator could make one once you cut the lengths of steel in around about an hour.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I use a bbq grill with legs made from four 2" bolts attached to the four corners. Don't use anything galvanized, the zinc is toxic.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I vote for the cast iron tuscan grill. You could design the grill firebox to accept the grill, and use as many as you needed to get the size you wanted.

The legs thread into the grill, and are detachable. The grill bars are triangular in section to give you nice grill marks, and have enough thermal mass to stay hot when meat is thrown on. I've never figured out what the prong thing that comes with it does.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

David,
          the groove in the end of the prong is to slide along one of the grilling bars and prize the meat from the bar that is stuck, especially if it marinated!
          What else could it be for?

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

"I've never figured out what the prong thing that comes with it does."

HMMMM,

I was thinking maybe it was used to pull/push the grill around while it is inside the oven, by hooking a bar of the grill with the notch on the end.

John

Comment

I used regular 1/2 inch angle iron when I made mine. It gives you the same killer grill marks that the Tuscan grill offers.

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I second the use of cast iron. Lasts for ever.

Check local fireplace shops. Some gas barbecues have cast iron grills - hang around your local dump/recyclers when the "technically challanged" throw away their old barbecues.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                  ... I've never figured out what the prong thing that comes with it does.
                  Amazon thinks it's a detachable handle. Read that at least one other place as well.

Amazon.com: Steven Raichlen Cast Iron Tuscan Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

you could get the cast iron grills for the weber grill at Home Depot and design your grill opening with that size in mind. I currently am really in love with the charcoal grill from Sam's that has a metal tray for the charcoal to lie in with a 2 inch lip to keep it in and that whole tray is lifted or lowered according to your heat needs up to the grill. The one at Sam's has a screw handle that is rotated in or out of the face of the grill, depressing a metal tab that raises or lowers the charcoal tray. I just slide my cast iron grill aside, pour the hot charcoal or combination charcoal and partially burned logs into the tray, and then lower it, and slide the grill back over the top. Great control over the heat, as I can lower the heat away from the meat.

By the way, it seems easy enough to make a cinder block fire box with a 55 gallon drum inside that contains wood to make your own charcoal. Google homemade charcoal.I am thinking of making that at the same time as my grill and oven build. Charcoal you make yourself and your grill and oven.

Comment

I just collected a Lodge Sportsman Grill for $50 at a local auction. Solid cast iron through and through. It works great because I can use it as a Habachi grill, or take the grate off and put it in my pizza oven for use as a Tuscan Grill. The only drawback for pizza oven use is that the legs are only about an inch long, but prop it up on a couple of fire bricks and you are set to go.

Amazon.com: Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Sportsman's Charcoal Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Comment

An excelent source for all types of "cooking grids" is the "grillstuff" web site, go to the "grill parts" section. Use the "type and dementions" pull down to select "cooking grids" and you will find hundres of options in various materials. (stainless, iron, porcelen) You can select by very precise size, shape, etc.

Not necessarily cheap, but you likely find exactly what you need there.

Comment

Working...
                        X