Is it possible to make a grill/oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to make a grill/oven?

If you put a barrel vault over a grill, could it be used to grill hamburgers, and cook a pig? To make it an oven you would need to cover the open side, but otherwise, would this work?

Re: Is it possible to make a grill/oven?

Grilling works great in the oven. Search for tuscan grill.

Why a barrel vault?
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post

Why a barrel vault?
      Needs to be large enought to hold a whole lamb.

Comment

A lamb isn't that big. Here's a thread on rotisseries:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f36/...ster-4988.html

A barrel vault oven isn't that versatile. If you are making bakery quantities of bread every day, they are the way to go, but if you want an oven for versatile cooking, the round dome is the ticket.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/w...s-round-2.html

Comment

Ok, I suppose I could use a large round oven.
          I would need to slope it slightly to let the juices run out towards the door.
          Is there any way to build one for less than $1,000?

Comment

And, where are the instructions on here for how to build the dome?

Comment

I would need to slope it slightly to let the juices run out towards the door.
              Nothing wrong with that. About the only thing you can't bake on a sloped floor is a pumpkin pie. You might want to think about a drip tray under your rotisserie: Drippings will just soak into the brick floor otherwise.

My general roasting rule is if I want to make gravy, I use a pan, otherwise I just throw it on a sheet of aluminum foil. I've not gotten to the rotisserie stage yet.
              And, where are the instructions on here for how to build the dome?
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...plans-578.html

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                Nothing wrong with that. About the only thing you can't bake on a sloped floor is a pumpkin pie. You might want to think about a drip tray under your rotisserie: Drippings will just soak into the brick floor otherwise.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...plans-578.html
                Not planning on using a rotisserie. I don't think you need one with even heat.
                I could line the floor with aluminium foil.

Comment

letting the juices hit the floor will vaporize them to steam, the resulting steam/smoke will flavor the meat...

Cheers
                  Mark....

Comment

I don't really make a lot of bread or pizza, so what I want is just something to cook lamb and pigs. This sort of cooker is covered, so I think that makes it an oven, rather than a straight up grill. Has anyone on here designed a straight out lamb/pig cooker?

Comment

I am thinking about something like a barrel vault, with a side open to reach the food. The floor would be the grill, not fire brick, and the fire would be underneath the grill.

Comment

bump
                        to see if there are any more ideas...

Comment

That sounds like a regular gas grill. Maybe figure out a way to insulate one real well for the same effect?

Comment

Is there any way to build one for less than $1,000?
                            Hi GT,
                            Maybe you need to cut an oil drum in half, Insulate the top.... Put hinges on it so it opens and closes.. I wouldnt use gas though... Something like the picture ... You will need to fill the top with at least Vermicrete/Vermiculite somehow to insulate, or wrap it in insulation blanket...if you lined the bottom with firebrick, it would absorb the heat and hold it for baking... would be great to put firebrick on top, but I don't see how you could do it easily and prob too heavy to open....

P.S. remember gas can be very dangerous...Use Wood....
                            Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

i built a temporary pig roaster with plans from these guys, adapting it to permanent would be simple...

Three Guys from Miam Pigroast! The Best Way to Roast that Hog!
                              Some do it the Hard Way. Some Do it The Easy Way.Most Do it the "right" way. and none do it the same way. Oh, and the wrong way is reserved for those who just dont do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X