floor temperature and dome temperature question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floor temperature and dome temperature question

Last weekend i finished my oven...all but the stucco that is...so i decided to fire it up and cook some pizzas. One was a roast pear and prosuitto with pine nuts, and the others were caramelized onion and bacon with fresh squash from the garden...

Any way, after the fact, i noticed that the highest temp i could get to was about 780 degrees F, according to my infrared thermometer, which was the dome temp. The cooking floor temp topped off at about 675 F.

I have been reading that optimum pizza temperature is about 900 F, and since i didnt get that high, maybe my pizzas wern't as good as they could possible be. BTW, this is only my third time firing my oven since curing it...and insulation shouldn't be an issue, as i have put at leat 5 inches of insulation around the whole thing

My main questions are: is a brick oven supposed to easily reach 900 F after the first couple of firings? and does it matter if the floor and dome temperatures don't match?

i guess i'm just worried that i didn't build my oven right! crazy of me, i know...most likely, there is some technique that i'm missing, but when something isn't working right, there is alway a fear that you have inadvertendly screwed something up. can someone help me out with this?

Re: floor temperature and dome temperature question

That is well within the range of good temps. My dome gets over 1000, but not for long, and I don't think I have gotten the floor up to 750. I usually cook with the dome at around 750 and the floor at about 650 after the first couple of pizzas.

You are still driving moisture out is the conventional wisdom, and it will heat higher, faster as it cures.

Comment

That actually does make me feel a lot better about my bulid. Thanks! Its ironic that the simplicity of a wood fired oven actually makes the few steps involved with firing it that much more important.

i've also heard of people talking about how the flames in the oven are supposed to be "scary". Id say mine were maybe slightly startling. they certainly weren't bursting out of the oven opening...Is that what i'm shooting for? it's kind of hard to tell how much wood i should use and when i should use it. Is the amount of fire in the oven supposed to be maintained form the initial firing to the time the pizzas are made?

Comment

I don't do scary big, here is mine at maximum throttle:

Comment

interesting...you seem to have built your fire in the center of the oven....ive been building mine in the back/off to the side....i'm going to have to try and copy you. It may make for more even heating. i noticed that one side was sifnificantly cooler than the other side and that may explain why. Thanks for the info! i can tell that it is going to take me a while to learn how to best use my oven. And i haven't even built the door yet...slow cooking is going to be another learning process

Comment

When it is time to cook pizza, I push it off to the side and feed it 1-2"x12" sticks.

Comment

Have you always cooked your pizzas on tins, plates? If not do you just use a brush to clean the floor? I am part way through the curing process. One drawback is that my swamp cooler sucks the smoke in. Hard to turn in off with 95+ degrees and 10-15 % max humidity. Sometimes I wish for MN humidity, just a little bit.b

Derk

Comment

The hearth (floor as you called it) and the dome will never be the same temperature. The coals insulate the hearth a bit and the flames are hotter than the coals so the dome will (or at least should when the oven is fired) be hotter than the hearth. I can easily get my hearth over 900 degrees at which point my dome will be over a thousand (if I could measure it). At pizza temps you will probably want your dome in the 900 to 950 range and the hearth around 750 and with a decent fire so flames will keep the dome hot. I like a bigger fire than TS. I also prefer my fire to the rear side - about 1/3 of the way around the oven.

When you close the oven and temper it for baking the hearth and dome temperatures will close. My dome seems to typically run about 25 to 50 degrees warmer than my hearth depending on the oven temp.

Hang in there. You will probably see the oven heating/cooking characteristics change for at least five firings.

Good Luck!
                Jay

Comment

If I am only cooking 4 pizzas I don't use the tins, but for production I do use them to make the pies. After the first or second 1/4 turn I take them off the tin.

Comment

sooo...would you guys say that having a hotter dome temperature is a function of having a bigger fire, or is there something else that factors into getting your oven into the 900 and up range?

Comment

I think it has to do with all of those flames licking around the dome as opposed to the semi-insulated (ash) floor.

Comment

"this is only my third time firing my oven since curing it."

It may improve somewhat after a few more firings. If not check that your wood is well seasoned. Try a bigger fire - preheat with a small fire near the door for half an hour or so then push this back to the center and fill it it almost entirely with wood stacked "teepee" style about an hour before cooking. The flames should be licking out the door opening. Your wife should say "Holy Cow" when she sees it.
                        Last edited by Neil2; 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

The dome will ALWAYS be hotter than the hearth unless something weird is going on. Heat rises

Comment

does it matter it matter how thick your hearth brick is?
                            mine is 2.5 inch thick on top of around 6 inches of loose vermiculite.

my oven is new, but im still having trouble getting the hearth bricks up past 400 degrees while the roof is around 700

if i were to split the bricks in half to 1.75 (it would be a pain)

would it get hotter and get there faster?

Comment

Cooking and baking require heat. Temperature is not heat. Getting to temperature is only part of the program/issue. You can get to temp faster if you just put aluminum foil over your insulation and have NO bricks. But you won't have enough heat storage to cook the bottom of the loaf! Heat content is a function of temperature, mass, and heat capacity. For a given material more mass holds more heat.

Your comments that you can't get your dome above 700 and your hearth above 400 says your oven is WET. Keep firing it bigger, longer, and hotter.

Comment

Working...
                              X