How long to get your oven hot for pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to get your oven hot for pizza

I'm still on the fence regarding style oven and the thickness of bricks/cladding. I'm wondering how long it takes members here to get their oven hot enough for pizza and the style of their oven and the approximate thickness of it.

firing time

Mine is a 42" low dome (18" tall, Napoletana style) pompeii brick oven. It takes longer to cool the oven back to bread temperatures (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drop from 800 back to 550) than it does to heat to pizza temperatures (about 1 hour). I have my hearth bricks sitting directly on a three inch layer of perlite concrete, oven dome made of 1/2 bricks (4 1/2 inches) with about 1/2 inch of cladding, and minimum six inches of loose fill perlite around the oven. I'm still working out the bread making process, but have no problem making more bread than I can eat in a week on the tail of my pizza making - see my recent thread on bread. Welcome to the forum Homebrewer - what's brewing now?

Comment

Size of Wood USed?

Maver, (and others):
      I am wondering what size wood you used.
      I have mostly small stuff here and it seems to
      make the proverbial 'flash in the pan' but doesn
      not seem to produce the heat that your stuff does.
      I burned the oven for over 3 hours and it did not
      get hot enough outside to where I could not comfortably
      keep my palms on the 8 inch walls.
      How much fuel do you use?
      JJ
      Philippines

Comment

I think it depends on the type and amount of wood more than the size - smaller pieces will release their BTUs quicker, which is good, but you may have to constantly feed it. I usually start with alder (sometimes pine) to just get the fire going, then once close to cooking time I switch to maple so I don't have to attend to it as much. I use splits that are generally 4-5 inches by 6-8 inches, sometimes more, sometimes less. Typically 8-12 pieces depending how long we're cooking. Usually more with the initial fire, 3-5 during the pizza making.

Keep working at it JayJay, I think James is right that you probably need more curing. And as far as thanksgiving Turkey, worst case you have a long preheat and then cook with a small fire in the oven (maybe that's where the coconut charcoal comes in) to keep it from cooling. Keep cycling your oven up to temp and I bet you'll find you can maintain a roasting temp for long enough by the end of the month. Insulation to enable holding the higher temps for pizza may be a later addition.

Comment

For anyone thinking about different oven styles for backyard cooking, take a look at the graphic I put together on heat up times. I think it will help.

http://fornobravo.com/forum/showthre...=5821#post5821

You should consider both heat up time (45 minutes vs. 2-3 hours) and high heat retention (cooking pizza all night vs. losing pizza heat after a couple of pizzas).

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Lighting fires

I just went out and touched off the oven again, I will try to see how hot
            I can get the fire today. I will burn what wood I have today and get some
            more in the morning.
            Thanks again for the help, all of you... great group!!
            JJ

Comment

Working...
            X