Curing question about measuring temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Curing question about measuring temps

Schotz, if your getting to 700F, I'd say it's cured. The water will continue to be driven out with subsequent firings. The dome will clear if you go to 800F, you will know when it happens. I have a 60" oven and have no problem clearing the entire dome. Did you experience any cracking? especially around the flue area. Most everyone gets some cracking of the insulation layer. If smoke isn't pouring out of the cracks, it's probably ok. Will get filled by the rendering layer.

Neil2 - agreed, english units are based on the human body. The width of the Kings thumb is an inch, length of his foot....is a foot. etc. don't know which King, however.
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Neil2 - thx, what exactly do you mean by "the dome will clear"? Do you mean turn white, as I'm starting to see a little whitening in the dome area? Don't see any cracks. I've been building fires for about 10 days now, very slowly each day for a few hours at a time. However, there are 1/8" to 3/8" gaps between the four castings that make up the oven as well as around the dome as it's a separate round piece too (2gCasa100).

I watched the masons assemble it and the castings did not fit perfectly together, so they've been that way all along. But they did fill in the gaps from the outside when they completely covered the dome with that special cement. - Schotz

Comment

"what exactly do you mean by "the dome will clear"? Do you mean turn white,"

The term is called turning "white" but what actually happens is all the soot/carbon has burnt off leaving the bare brick colour.

Comment

Working...
        X