Wollongong NSW Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wollongong NSW Australia

Hi everyone. I have just finished my 42" Pompeii oven from the plans downloaded from Forno Bravo. I sourced all my materials from a local refractory company. I purchased the materials, got them all home and still hadn't figured out where I was going to build it, I had an idea but wasn't sure if it would fit, so I made a template of the outside diameter of the 42" oven and tried it to see if I could squeeze it in, it fitted (see picture) so construction began in July this year. First the bottom slab, then for the block work I used Hebel blocks, which are light weight blocks you cut with a hand saw to whatever shape and size needed, then just glue 'em together. Next the top slab, easy to form up, just used screws into the Hebel blocks and nothing else. Then it was as we all know, the floor, the dome, opening, vent, chimney and landing. I still have to cover it in the ceramic thermal blanket then render it with stucco, but figured I would cure it first.
    I must say I have never done anything like this before, I have done small brick work constructions, around the house, but not arches and circular domes. I have enjoyed the journey so far but now after reading some of the forums on here I'm a bit scared to fire it up, even small firings for curing, thinking it might just crack and crumble into a heap on the oven floor.
    I have attached the maximum number of pics to this thread, am I able to attach more to the next thread or is there some other way of putting a whole heap on at the same time?
    Anyway there is so much more to talk about and heaps more pics but that will have to wait till next time.
    catch ya all later
    Nodison

Re: Wollongong NSW Australia

Hi Nodison and welcome aboard.

am I able to attach more to the next thread
    You sure can, just keep posting with the max 5 pics until you have your build covered.
    Go ahead with your curing but if you used the refractory adhesive to build your oven, then go very slowly as most other members (as you seem to recall) have cracks in their ovens.
    I will never use these adhesives but use the poor man's mortar as mine was cured in a couple of days and has no cracks except for the outer render layer out over the superwool blanket and 3" vermiculite.
    You could also put in a small radiant heater or a lpg gas ring for a couple of days to slowly increase the oven temp and drive out much of the moisture.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hey Neill,
      Thanks for the welcome.
      Where do you hail from?
      I did use the high temperature dry mix mortar, maybe I might let mine stand for another week before trying to cure it, let it dry out a bit more.
      If I do build another one or have to rebuild this one I will now do 2 things differently, first is to acquire a brick saw to have on hand 24/7 the second is mix my own mud.
      How many ovens have you built and is there pics on here of your oven?
      I haven't made my door yet but I'm thinking of a wooden door I can get hold of a slab of Ironbark which is a hardwood gum tree over here and make a door from that. Ya reckon that would be ok or is soft wood better?
      Catch ya
      Nodison

Comment

Hey Neill,
        Just to let you know I took your advice and brought a 2 ring LPG gas ring I set it up in the oven about 4 hours ago and have been keeping a close eye on the temperature with my infrared thermometer. At the moment the very top of the dome is now up around 224F floor is around 112F. I can see where the moisture is coming out around the top of the dome on the outside, and there isn't a crack to be seen. So at this point I'm pretty happy.
        Here are a few more pics.
        Catch ya later
        Nodison

Comment

Originally posted by nodison View Post
          and there isn't a crack to be seen.
          Luckily for us you've got pants on.....
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Nodison,

Where do you hail from?
            I'm just south of Adelaide.

How many ovens have you built and is there pics on here of your oven?
            I have built one completely, finished 2 others and just knocked back one to build today. Have a guy who gets me to do things and then won't pay, so now he is off my books! My build is on this forum, just click on the link on the bottom of this posting. You can also click on my name and go to the Statistics, all of my threads started are listed which includes my door(s), outdoor kitchen and a host of other things. A good way of finding out what a member contributes to the forum.

I haven't made my door yet but I'm thinking of a wooden door I can get hold of a slab of Ironbark which is a hardwood gum tree over here and make a door from that. Ya reckon that would be ok or is soft wood better?
            You will need to insulate the door otherwise you will simply char it or burn it.

Good to see that your curing is working. Don't increase the temperature until you can see that the moisture escaping is almost gone and then only slowly increase the temp up to 500˚C which is then ready for 1 minute pizzas. You will b able to use the heat within your oven already to cook (or dry) fruits, veg, meats (jurkey) and even your next firing firewood.

Cheers.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Ah yes in these pics I do, but I still have some more pics to post.
              Keep watching.
              Nod

Comment

I'm still in investigation & planning stages for building a WFO.
                As I'm in Wollongong too I'd like to ask you which suppliers you bought your materials from?
                And which supplies would you recommend?

Comment

Looking to build a WFO in Wollongong too.
                  Any local suppliers you could recommend?

Comment

Hi Powindah,
                    Sorry it's taken a while to reply to your post don't get on here to often. What suburb of the gong you in?
                    When and if I build another oven, I would use fire bricks for sure although expensive they are the best. High temp mortar, next time I would mix my own rather than use pre-mixed brought stuff it's way to dear. I followed the Pompeii plans from this site and oven turned out great. I brought all of my product from a place in Unanderra but look in the phone book and price around for best prices.
                    If your keen and still interested let me know and if you want come have a look at my oven and will let you know where I brought all my product and some of the mistakes I made.
                    Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the offer to take a look at your oven, I might take you up on that at a later date when I have a better idea of how these things get put together.
                      I'm located in Coniston.
                      Still in the very early stages, deciding how big, what to use, where to put it etc.
                      Planning on using firbricks, tapered if I can get them at a reasonable price, but it's pretty hard to find locally available firebrick specs online.
                      Do you know of any local council regulations ccovering these things?

Comment

Don't know of any council regs. I live in Figtree and can give you some advice on how to build it if you want, point out the things I would do differently on the next oven. I brought all my materials from Refractech in Unanderra.
                        Just let me know if you want some, limited, advice. I know I would have loved to have someone to talk to when I started my oven but there was no-one around here at the time.
                        Cheers for now

Comment

As you have cured your oven prior to insulating it you will also have to be careful to drive off all the moisture from the vermicrete layer before doing the final render/stucco, assuming that is how you plan to go. Vermicrete holds incredible amount of water and if you don't get rid of it you can expect cracks in the outside layer.Try placing a sheet of plastic over it to see if there is any condensation occurring.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks nodison.
                            I'll make use of that offer when I get closer to actual construction.
                            If all goes well it'll probably be sometime this winter while the weather is cooler.

Comment

Nodison,
                              I'm about to build a 42" in Berry. If your still about I'd like catch up if possible
                              Thanks, Darren

Comment

Working...
                              X